Looking for Dolomites Beta

Original Post
Michael Butts · · Boulder, Co · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 0

Hello, 

My girlfriend and I are traveling to the Dolomites to climb for a couple of weeks in August. We are renting a camper van to travel around in in the area. We have never been to the area before but we are experienced climbers, Alpine, Trad, Big wall, sport, etc..  We would like to climb as many classics in the area from the 5.5-5.10 range. Our goal is to climb enough of the classics to say that we have "climbed" in the Dolomites. I just don't want to leave the area saying "oh! well, I have been there but we only did a couple of routes". I get that there is more than a lifetime of climbing in the area. Here are some of my questions. 

Gear:  Ropes? One 70? Two ropes? etc? Which rope/ropes will be best for climbing in the Dolomites

Rack: Standard Rack? Doubles? Special small gear or big gear?

Guidebook:  Which guidebook would be good for hitting the select classics?

Routes:  List off any and all routes that are "Classic" in the 5.5-5.10 range.   If I were to tell someone that I have climbed in the Dolomites and They asked "oh sweet did you climb this?" I want to be able to say yes I did that route. 

Van Camping:  If you know of any sweet spots to park our van that will be safe and free or really cheap please share. We are respectful and very quiet. Also are campfires a thing in the Dolomites? 

Any info is greatly appreciated. We are super excited to visit the area. 

Best

Michael 

David Coley · · UK · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 0

Buy the Rockfax guide book. Job done.

Jim Titt · · Germany · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 0

Indeed, I drag around a couple of German language guides and the 50 classics one in Italian but for an English speaking visitor the Rockfax has got to be the way to go.

Michael Butts · · Boulder, Co · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 0

I just got the rockfax today. It is great. Thanks fellas. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply