"Back" button UI/UX confuses many

Original Post
Sean H · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Dec 2008 · Points: 105

In the latest incarnation of the app, the hierarchy of a crag is browsable via a dropdown in the top middle (i.e. Utah > Maple Canyon > Right Fork > The Pipedream).

There is no one touch button to go up one level in the hierarchy, only to go "back" to whatever you were viewing before you navigated somewhere new.

While I have a clear mental understanding of what the available back button is doing - in practice, I frequently hit it expecting to be taken up one level (for instance, to see the other crags in the sub-area I'm currently in, or browse classics in that area to see what else is available, etc.)

I have witnessed several others making the same mistake.

I imagine the app designers thought that adding a separate "Up" button to the navigation area would leave it too cluttered, and/or not leave enough text visible for the description of the present area. My thoughts would be either a separate navigation bar at the bottom (ala Safari) giving you "Up", "Back", "Home", and possibly "Settings", or alternatively, splitting the navigation bar at the top into two horizontal bands - one for the "present area" dropdown that brings you to the area hierarchy, and one with separate navigation buttons.

Just suggestions though as ui/ux isn't my specialty.

Gavin W · · Surrey, BC · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 178

I think the dropdown hierarchy is sufficient. It took me a bit to get used to it, but now it's just second nature.

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 190

Yeah, this drives me nuts.  Every time I try to exit out of a wall within an area, I end up back at the state screen.  I get what I have to do to avoid this, but it's not intuitive.

Bill Czajkowski · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 30
Gavin W wrote:

I think the dropdown hierarchy is sufficient. It took me a bit to get used to it, but now it's just second nature.

I don't.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply