Rope near Golden Arch (at Index) and the seasonal raptor closure

Original Post
Jon Nelson · · Bellingham, WA · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 4,425

Does anyone here know about the ropes on the Upper Town Wall at Index that appear to be within the seasonal raptor closure area? 

I suppose that they are legitimate, as they are also shown in the closure photo (if you enlarge): 

https://cdn-files.apstatic.com/climb/113103956_large_1496859835.jpg 

Also, the raptor closure message says the region "to the Golden Arch" is closed, so it appears that, at least for the upper rope, that at least part of the activity is just outside the closure area. 

But I noticed that they were still up there the past two days (which is within the closure period), along with something that appears to be a portaledge. I'm not trying to get anyone in trouble, but rather am merely curious about the activity and whether the WA Climbers' Coalition & State Parks knows about it. 

I also heard recently screechy sounds like that from a falcon coming from the huge tree in the Lookout Point gully. I can't be sure it was a falcon, but am curious if maybe there is another pair of nesting falcons up there or if the original pair moved from the UTW to that tree. (I hope this doesn't mean that Lookout Point will now close, but if it is best for the birds, so be it.)

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply