Mountain Project Logo

New Beal 5mm Rope...

Original Post
20 kN · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,348

It's not clear what this is actually designed for yet. It's coming out in 2018. Some suggest it might be a backup for highlines, others say as a tag line, others say emergency lead rope. Anyone know?

Patrik · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 30

Do you remember that survey you got from Beal maybe 5 months ago? This is the first product as a result of that survey. They found that many gym climbers were dismayed that they felt left out of the ultralight gear market. Beal was very quick to respond and they added several important features to make the best gym rope on the market. Previous internal research of Beal has shown that not many people really know how to give a proper soft catch to reduce the repeated high-force stress on the bolts in gyms, so they designed a rope that even beginner lead belayers will automatically give the softest catch possible. The reduced diameter of the rope was chosen to make it impossible for even the most inexperienced belayer to never short rope a leader, no matter which belay device they use. You also see that middle marker at the lower left of the picture? Yet again, the advances of Beal technologies will set a new standard for gym ropes for many years to come. The name by the way, was picked from the effect of hangdogging on this rope. There will be lots of getting "Back up" if you hang on this line. This was to discourage hanging and enhance the boldness (yes, I think Aleks was the main "lobbyist" for this feature) of fresh gym climbers and preparing them for the real world of outdoor sport climbing where bolts are much further apart and hanging is not always an option. 

Brian Abram · · Celo, NC · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 495
Patrik wrote:

Do you remember that survey you got from Beal maybe 5 months ago? This is the first product as a result of that survey. They found that many gym climbers were dismayed that they felt left out of the ultralight gear market. Beal was very quick to respond and they added several important features to make the best gym rope on the market. Previous internal research of Beal has shown that not many people really know how to give a proper soft catch to reduce the repeated high-force stress on the bolts in gyms, so they designed a rope that even beginner lead belayers will automatically give the softest catch possible. The reduced diameter of the rope was chosen to make it impossible for even the most inexperienced belayer to never short rope a leader, no matter which belay device they use. You also see that middle marker at the lower left of the picture? Yet again, the advances of Beal technologies will set a new standard for gym ropes for many years to come. The name by the way, was picked from the effect of hangdogging on this rope. There will be lots of getting "Back up" if you hang on this line. This was to discourage hanging and enhance the boldness of fresh gym climbers and preparing them for the real world of outdoor sport climbing where bolts are much further apart and hanging is not always an option.

too much effort

Whatever it is, Beal is perhaps the most risk-taking/innovative rope manufacturer right now. Opera 8.5 single, Gully 7.3 half, Escaper, and whatever this thing is

mcarizona · · Flag · Joined Feb 2007 · Points: 180

Is that made of floss?

Rob Warden...Space Lizard · · Between Zion, Vegas, LA, an… · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 115

Looks like an edelrid rap line 2

JCM · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 95
Rob Warden...Space Lizard wrote:

Looks like an edelrid rap line 2

Except even skinnier. Could be a useful item if they do a good job with it.

adeadhead · · Baltimore, Maryland · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 25
Patrik wrote:

Do you remember that survey you got from Beal maybe 5 months ago? This is the first product as a result of that survey. They found that many gym climbers were dismayed that they felt left out of the ultralight gear market. Beal was very quick to respond and they added several important features to make the best gym rope on the market. Previous internal research of Beal has shown that not many people really know how to give a proper soft catch to reduce the repeated high-force stress on the bolts in gyms, so they designed a rope that even beginner lead belayers will automatically give the softest catch possible. The reduced diameter of the rope was chosen to make it impossible for even the most inexperienced belayer to never short rope a leader, no matter which belay device they use. You also see that middle marker at the lower left of the picture? Yet again, the advances of Beal technologies will set a new standard for gym ropes for many years to come. The name by the way, was picked from the effect of hangdogging on this rope. There will be lots of getting "Back up" if you hang on this line. This was to discourage hanging and enhance the boldness (yes, I think Aleks was the main "lobbyist" for this feature) of fresh gym climbers and preparing them for the real world of outdoor sport climbing where bolts are much further apart and hanging is not always an option. 

Is this satire. 

aikibujin · · Castle Rock, CO · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 294

Can I dulfersitz with this thing, or will it saw me in half?

DCarey · · Missoula · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 15

Is it static or dynamic?

My guess would be rappelling. If my memory serves me right (and someone can fact check me on this) when Steve House and Vince Anderson climbed the Rupal Face, they brought two ropes. The first was a 8mm/50m for the actual climbing. They also brought a 5mm/55m cord that they paired with the other rope for all the rappels when they were finished. This 5mm rope could be an effort to make a rope that thin for rappelling and not just cord.   

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Brian Abram wrote:

too much effort

Whatever it is, Beal is perhaps the most risk-taking/innovative rope manufacturer right now. Opera 8.5 single, Gully 7.3 half, Escaper, and whatever this thing is

Perhaps look up the definitions of satire and parody?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply