Mountain Project Logo

Petzl Bolsa Rope Bag

Original Post
Seth Monteleone · · Charlotte, NC · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 28

I have a Petzl Bolsa rope bag (https://www.petzl.com/CA/en/Sport/Ropes/BOLSA) that I really like.  It has just enough space in it with a 60m rope to put my harness, shoes, chalkbag, and a small rack.  The only problem is that the straps are basically like a car's seatbelt and on 2 mile approaches that I've done with it my shoulders will be KILLING me for the next month.  Has anyone else experienced this issue with this bag or one similar?  Is there anything I can do to make the straps not destroy my shoulders?

Wes C · · Cleveland, oh · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 35

I have both this bag and an edelrid element rope bag that I much prefer.  One thing about the edelrid bag that isn't advertised is that there are two thick, comfortable shoulder straps.  It holds a lot, it is comparable to the Petzl bag.  I have not tried to modify the petzl bag yet however if you feel like spending $45 the edelrid bag is well worth it.

Jack Stephenson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 25

If you are handy enough, you can find closed (or open, depending on preference) cell foam and a piece of nylon fabric and sew yourself some beefed up straps. If done this with other bags on a very experimental level and have had some success. 

Here's a side by side.  The should straps are a bit stiff, but do have padding and are thicker.  The bag also has a shoulder strap.  You can stuff them into the zippered pocket in the back if not in use.

Thanks Wes! That does look a bit more comfortable. I guess if I get it I would have an excuse to get a new rope too. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply