US gear prices

Original Post
Gabriel Rawcliffe · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

Hi all, 

I'm just looking for some information about the price of climbing gear in the states. I am coming over from New Zealand for a climbing trip in late August and currently looking at purchasing some (much needed) new gear (Shoes, rope, a few extra draws). What are the prices generally like in the US for climbing gear? I have had a look online, but are online prices usually reflective of what I will pay in a store, or will I be able to pick up deals once I get there? Thanks for your help

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 253

Online and in stores, stuff usually has a normal retail price set as MSRP. (So the price in-store is the same as the "regular" price online.) That said, there are sales frequently enough that unless you need something immediately, you can usually get a discount on it. For instance, BD cams go on sale in different stores and on different sites at different times, for instance, so every month or two you'll find someone who has them for cheaper than MSRP. (20-25% off is fairly common.)

Jack Stephenson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 25

Any specific gear you want to know about?

Rando Calrissian · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 5

You may be able to find some deals in person (10-25%off typically speaking) as we celebrate Labor Day on September 4th this year. We celebrate our labor movement by not working, yeah wrap your head around that one. USUALLY there are sales for the week or two leading up to Labor Day. If there isn't a specific deal on something, there might be a storewide coupon for x% off one item or something like that. What part of the country are you going to be in?

Typically online v store pricing is comparable at retail prices except online you don't pay sales tax (sometimes 5-8%) on top of the purchase amount depending on city and state you are in. Oregon and Montana if I remember correct doesn't do sales tax. 

Matt Himmelstein · · Orange, California · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 115

It depends on the store and the site.  I live in So Cal and frequently go into the Gear Coop store in Costa Mesa.  They hae the same sale prices that they have on line, plus some close-out deals that are not on line.  But if I see a deal on a specific peince of gear on, say Backcountry, and Gear Coop does not have it in stock locally (they match prices), then I am out of luck.  If I were not near Gear Coop, and had to rely on smaller shops, I would likely have to pay more at the local place.  Now, there is a social benefit to that, but I also like to save my pennies.

Squeak · · Perth West OZ · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 23
Gabriel Rawcliffe wrote:

Hi all, 

I'm just looking for some information about the price of climbing gear in the states. I am coming over from New Zealand for a climbing trip in late August and currently looking at purchasing some (much needed) new gear (Shoes, rope, a few extra draws). What are the prices generally like in the US for climbing gear? I have had a look online, but are online prices usually reflective of what I will pay in a store, or will I be able to pick up deals once I get there? Thanks for your help

Check out the prices for gear online at places that ship to UnZed, I'm in OZ and often use sites like TREKKINN.COM (I bought 14 draws for the price of 6 here in OZ)  or Cotswold outdoors ($9 shipping to OZ)

Climb Germany · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 2,510

Best is to just browse some US online stores and then convert to NZ dollars. Rei.com and Backcountry.com are probably the two biggest. Gearcoop.com is also good. Also, don't forget the US has NO national sales tax, so that comes into play. Plus if you spend enough money, you can try and get the (little) sales tax back when u leave

Jason4Too · · Bellingham, Washington · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 0

Be warned that there is typically sales tax in the US that is not included in the MSRP shown on the internet.  This can range by location but in my experience is typically less than 10%.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply