Mountain Project Logo

Mountaineering/ Alpine Pants

Original Post
Tristan Hamrick · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0

I have been looking to get into ice climbing and mountaineering and have most everything except pants, looking around there are a ton of products available. Do you guys have a favorite pair of pants? Previous topics have listed a lot of pants that are no longer sold unfortunately. 

Emmett Lyman · · Stoneham, MA (Boston burbs) · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 480

Try out a bunch of brands (Rab, Patagonia, Eddie Bauer FA, Mammut, Marmot, OR, Arcteryx, MH, BD, Millet, etc. - whatever you can get your hands on). They all make great stuff but fit differently, so everyone's preference is likely tied to body size/shape. Summer's the perfect time to do this since everything is cheap.

Cory B · · Fresno, CA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 2,577

I love the Rab Torque pants for spring and summer and the OR Cirque for colder conditions

Brie Abram · · Celo, NC · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 493

Patagonia Kniferidge or Arc'teryx Psiphon AR when it's chilly. Rab Torque or Arc'teryx Gamma Rock when it's warm. Patagonia and Arc'teryx technical pants tend to run at least half a size big. I'm 5'10, 175-180 lbs with a 31-32 waist, and typically wear medium in everything, but I wear a small in Arc and Patagonia pants. I do prefer a trim fit.

Rab Torque pants are super nice: good features and decent durability. The awesome cordura-like patches are great for scrubbing on awkward rock, and they're a relative deal at $135 retail. My mediums weigh 10.9 oz

david · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 106

+1 on the OR Cirque, love 'for anything mountaineering or ice climbing. 

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 969

OR Cirque has treated me very well.  

alpine murse · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 95

Love my OR cirques

jdejace · · New England · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 5

You do NOT need them just to get out on the ice. It's an expensive hobby and the money would be better spent elsewhere IMO.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Mountaineering
Post a Reply to "Mountaineering/ Alpine Pants"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started