Mountain Project Logo

Mountaineering/ Alpine Pants

Original Post
Tristan Hamrick · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0

I have been looking to get into ice climbing and mountaineering and have most everything except pants, looking around there are a ton of products available. Do you guys have a favorite pair of pants? Previous topics have listed a lot of pants that are no longer sold unfortunately. 

Emmett Lyman · · Somerville, MA · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 380

Try out a bunch of brands (Rab, Patagonia, Eddie Bauer FA, Mammut, Marmot, OR, Arcteryx, MH, BD, Millet, etc. - whatever you can get your hands on). They all make great stuff but fit differently, so everyone's preference is likely tied to body size/shape. Summer's the perfect time to do this since everything is cheap.

C Brooks · · Fresno, CA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 546

I love the Rab Torque pants for spring and summer and the OR Cirque for colder conditions

Brian Abram · · Celo, NC · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 495

Patagonia Kniferidge or Arc'teryx Psiphon AR when it's chilly. Rab Torque or Arc'teryx Gamma Rock when it's warm. Patagonia and Arc'teryx technical pants tend to run at least half a size big. I'm 5'10, 175-180 lbs with a 31-32 waist, and typically wear medium in everything, but I wear a small in Arc and Patagonia pants. I do prefer a trim fit.

Rab Torque pants are super nice: good features and decent durability. The awesome cordura-like patches are great for scrubbing on awkward rock, and they're a relative deal at $135 retail. My mediums weigh 10.9 oz

David · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 25

+1 on the OR Cirque, love 'for anything mountaineering or ice climbing. 

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 650

OR Cirque has treated me very well.  

a.blair · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 65

Love my OR cirques

jdejace · · New England · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 10

Any decent softshell pant from a brand you've heard of will be fine starting out. You'll probably destroy your first pair with crampons like beginners with their first rock shoes. Once you've gotten some climbing under your belt you can decide if it's worth shelling out for high end stuff. My favorite, since you asked:

http://nwalpine.com/store-1/neoshell-salopette

You do NOT need them just to get out on the ice. It's an expensive hobby and the money would be better spent elsewhere IMO.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply