Patching a large hole in a Neoair camping mattress

Original Post
Charlie Proctor · · Somerville, MA · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 5

On a trip this winter I dropped a crampon on my neoair xtherm (pretty dumb, I know) and got a large hole in it. The hole is an "L" shape with the longer part about 1" and shorter part 1/2". At the time, I put some tenacious tape on it and it miraculously held air for a few days. When I got home, I cleaned it out and put a bunch of seam-grip on it with some tenacious tape over it. This worked great for awhile but slowly the pad has started leaking faster and faster. A bubble test showed that it is leaking straight through the tenacious tape! Any advice for a more permanent repair? I'm thinking of just putting more seam grip over the top of the tape but would like a better solution.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 15
Charlie Proctor wrote:

On a trip this winter I dropped a crampon on my neoair xtherm (pretty dumb, I know) and got a large hole in it. The hole is an "L" shape with the longer part about 1" and shorter part 1/2". At the time, I put some tenacious tape on it and it miraculously held air for a few days. When I got home, I cleaned it out and put a bunch of seam-grip on it with some tenacious tape over it. This worked great for awhile but slowly the pad has started leaking faster and faster. A bubble test showed that it is leaking straight through the tenacious tape! Any advice for a more permanent repair? I'm thinking of just putting more seam grip over the top of the tape but would like a better solution.

My Neoair came with a patch kit. That's what I would use, if I had a leak. But now that you have all that goop and tape on it, it may be more difficult to repair. If you can get the old stuff (tape) off of it without damaging the mattress (don't know if that's possible), try patching it with the Thermarest repair patch.

Charlie Proctor · · Somerville, MA · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 5

The stuff that comes with it seems to have hardened a long time ago and is no longer useful. It addition, it's just a glue that has no structure which would work fine for a pinhole puncture but not a large hole like I'm dealing with.

Rich Murray · · Myrtle Beach, SC · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 0
Charlie Proctor wrote:

The stuff that comes with it seems to have hardened a long time ago and is no longer useful. It addition, it's just a glue that has no structure which would work fine for a pinhole puncture but not a large hole like I'm dealing with.

https://www.thermarest.com/mattresses/permanent-home-repair-kit

Mixed reviews, but it comes with large discs for patching big holes.  Might want to call Cascade Designs for advice - I've always found their tech folks to be very helpful.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 15
Charlie Proctor wrote:

Your patch kit didn't include a patch; it was just glue? Mine came with a circular patch.

DavisMeschke Guillotine · · Pinedale, WY · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 45

For a larger hole like that, you'd be better off sending the pad into Thermarest and paying for them to patch it for you (I believe it's $20-30?). I've had luck with the sticky patch they give you in the kit, but thats mor for small punctures than full-on holes.

John John · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

You forgot the Butt Plug didn't you.

Protip- Never forget the Butt Plug.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply