Mountain Project Logo

CT Ragged Mtn

Original Post
keithconn · · LI, NY · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 35

Road trip and - Heading there tomorrow. Where can we park and what should we climb?  Coming on our trip to climb for 2-3 days. Entire family so we are looking for some 5-3 to 5-6 climbs. Can be multi/lead or TR. 

thanks!

David Baddeley · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 30

MP area page has all the access and route info you need, but you'll be hard pushed to find 1 days climbing, let alone 2-3 in that grade range. Good place to start (if leading) would be Weissner slab (5.3), although it finishes mid cliff so can't be top-roped without leading first, and building an anchor is a bit fiddly. Bring a long static if you want to top-rope, and helmets are a very good idea.

Seriously though, if you have 2-3 days go somewhere else. Ragged starts getting a bit more worthwhile in the 5.8-5.10 range, and is interesting for it's history, but it's not a destination crag.

jackkelly00 · · Chocorua, NH · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 325

Pinnacle near ragged would be a better choice for the grades you are looking to climb.

• Thanks everyone. Can always count on mtn project community!  Went to Pinnacle today and will be going back tomorrow. Did a 5.5, 5.9- TR, and First Crack 5.4 as a trad family affair. Totally weird parking in the neighborhood and hearing people mowing their lawn in the evening (something the gunks is def missing), but awesome little crag. Great to meet Bill today!
Ross Ayer · · Southington, CT · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 62

Awesome, I am glad that you are enjoying your stay!  CT offers a lot of different rock, and I think that Pinnacle is a good fit.  If you are looking into indoor climbing, swing by Prime Climb!  Climb on

wivanoff · · Northeast, USA · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 674

Keithconn,

Nice to meet your family. I think your boy left his helmet at the top of First Crack. I put it on the ledge on the wall to the left of First Crack at the base of the cliff. You can't see it from the ground (because some local punks were playing with it). If you climb Casual Corner you'll see it.

Bill

Thanks again everyone. Had a great climb again today. Not our helmet but some others made off with it. All the best from LI NY!  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "CT Ragged Mtn"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started