Mountain Project Logo

Gear mods

greggrylls · · Salt Lake City · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 177
Not a mod really but I had a file and was bored...  just like sharpening up an ice screw 
gumbie gene · · NJ · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

added some trigger holders to my older non-2019 C4 based on the BD design. releases once I pull the trigger back. Works like a charm and holding up to some abuse.
Drew Nevius · · Oklahoma · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 1,733
gumbie gene wrote:

added some trigger holders to my older non-2019 C4 based on the BD design. releases once I pull the trigger back. Works like a charm and holding up to some abuse.

Nice! I’ve been considering something like that. Did you use sugru? Also, I wonder if it’ll be more challenging with old style camalots

Ben Podborski · · Squamish · Joined Jul 2018 · Points: 0
gumbie gene wrote:

This is great! I want to do this to my 5 and 6. What is your method?

Drew Nevius wrote:

Nice! I’ve been considering something like that. Did you use sugru? Also, I wonder if it’ll be more challenging with old style camalots

I just used super glue and two plastic carabiners. I put a more detailed response on my comment below, idk how to quote two people in one post so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

But I think in older style camalots, the spring tension is a bit higher but at the same time, the super glue holds like a boss. I think as long as you don't test to see if the system works till after the super glue is FULLY dry, the super glue should work well. Trying the trigger keeper before the super glue dries could lead to some frustration.

I haven't used sugru but that might've worked knowing the properties of it unless it doesn't dry well and really harden once dry. 
Ben Podborski wrote:

This is great! I want to do this to my 5 and 6. What is your method?

Super glue, two plastic toy carabiners from BD I had laying around, cut the carabiners for the hook and wire gate, attach the hooks high enough that the lobes are retracted but can be released by pulling the trigger to it's limit. The super glue is surprisingly really robust but takes a while to dry. The wiregate goes into the trigger bar (rests really nicely in there actually) and the hook goes on near the thumb loop of the stem. Also, would melt the end of the plastic you plan on attaching to the cam in order to mold it by pushing the soft plastic against the spot you plan on attaching it to. 

The hardest part was adding the hooks to the stem, but as long as the super glue or whatever glue you decide to use dries out quickly, it shouldn't be too bad of a little project.
Jared Chrysostom · · Charleston, SC · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 5
gumbie gene wrote:

Super glue, two plastic toy carabiners from BD I had laying around, cut the carabiners for the hook and wire gate, attach the hooks high enough that the lobes are retracted but can be released by pulling the trigger to it's limit. The super glue is surprisingly really robust but takes a while to dry. The wiregate goes into the trigger bar (rests really nicely in there actually) and the hook goes on near the thumb loop of the stem. Also, would melt the end of the plastic you plan on attaching to the cam in order to mold it by pushing the soft plastic against the spot you plan on attaching it to. 

The hardest part was adding the hooks to the stem, but as long as the super glue or whatever glue you decide to use dries out quickly, it shouldn't be too bad of a little project.

Try a super glue with an accelerator next time? Apply glue to one piece, spray the other with accelerator, bam I hope you put it together right cuz now it's stuck like that forever. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000DD1QR/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1​​​
Jared Chrysostom wrote:

Try a super glue with an accelerator next time? Apply glue to one piece, spray the other with accelerator, bam I hope you put it together right cuz now it's stuck like that forever. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000DD1QR/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yup I did, was difficult and a bit of pain due to the drying but did get it right. Works perfectly. Thanks for the link

Ben Podborski · · Squamish · Joined Jul 2018 · Points: 0

I've followed Gumbie's advice and did the same on my BD 5 and 6, using a Night Ize dual-end plastic carabiner for the donor parts ($1.25) and some Gorilla Glue for the, well, glue ($5).

Worked great!

Briggs Lazalde · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

That's a clean job. Nicely done ben

Curt Haire · · leavenworth, wa · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 1

I make or modify damn near everything I use, so choosing a "favorite" - well - hopeless.  One of the more recent is modifying a $2 scewdriver to make a combination nut/v-thread tool.  why pay 10x?

Caleb Schwarz · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 125
Curt Haire wrote: I make or modify damn near everything I use, so choosing a "favorite" - well - hopeless.  One of the more recent is modifying a $2 scewdriver to make a combination nut/v-thread tool.  why pay 10x?

Why not share a few photos? We've got time lol

Mark Berenblum · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 105
eli poss wrote:

That article doesn't show it but yes clipping the thumb loop is weaker by 2kN. Look at the instruction manual that comes with the cam. 

It's probably because it forces the cable to bend at a tighter radius because the sling is wider than a biner. IMO it doesn't really matter because 99% of the time the cam is going to rip out of the placement before the cable breaks, but you decide for yourself. 

Thank you for the correction. Clearly, this is news to me. This probably won't change anything in how I clip gear, but it's interesting to know nonetheless. 
Mark Berenblum · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 105
Greg R wrote:

Good to know, because the pvc that the Long Ranger suggested costs only a buck or two compared to dropping $20-30 on a picket. Any links to the white papers showing comparative tests on manufactured vs DIY pickets.  Thanks

Greg, there's a post here titled "DIY Snow Picket" that's quite informative and includes a bunch of testing on picket designs. I haven't gone through all of the links in that thread again, but I believe that's where I found the paper I was referring to. 

Caleb Schwarz · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 125

Started learning to sew. I have some old Patagonia climbing pants that have always been too long, so I shortened the legs and added shock cord. I have a long ways to go and a lot to learn, but sewing is more fun than I thought it would be.

Caleb Schwarz wrote: Started learning to sew. I have some old Patagonia climbing pants that have always been too long, so I shortened the legs and added shock cord. I have a long ways to go and a lot to learn, but sewing is more fun than I thought it would be.

Dude I traced my friends dog jacket, cut it out, and sewed my own dog jacket. He liked it. Proud moment that'll bring a tear to a fur dad's eye. Sewing is indeed awesome and underrated. Next I wanna sew tents

Jared Chrysostom · · Charleston, SC · Joined Oct 2017 · Points: 5
Caleb Schwarz wrote: Started learning to sew. I have some old Patagonia climbing pants that have always been too long, so I shortened the legs and added shock cord. I have a long ways to go and a lot to learn, but sewing is more fun than I thought it would be.

This is excellent. I want a pair. 

EJN · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2012 · Points: 198

Caleb, you doing that by hand or on a machine?

NorCalNomad · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 110
greggrylls wrote:
Not a mod really but I had a file and was bored...  just like sharpening up an ice screw 

No it is not. Both Ray and BD have said that the "teeth" do nothing.

NorCalNomad wrote:

No it is not. Both Ray and BD have said that the "teeth" do nothing.

The grooves in the updated cams are simply for weight savings

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Gear mods"