Mountain Project Logo

Northeastern Ice Climbing Stoke

Ryan M Moore · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 35

Standard route yesterday. Looked better from the road today and i’m Sure by the end of this cold front it will be in decent shape. Went up to Huntington’s today, didn’t take a look up the pinnacle but not all of the gullies were pure snow, still ice up there. 
Ty Falk · · Park City, UT · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 270

Anyone have any Bolton /Smuggs/ Northern Vermont beta for me...

Rob Blakemore · · Boston, MA · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 105
Ty Falk wrote: Anyone have any Bolton /Smuggs/ Northern Vermont beta for me...

not mine and maybe you already saw but: instagram.com/p/BrDazuBgHIf/

nice thanks!!
anyone wana get out early tomorrow? 

Christian DuBois · · Fairhaven, MA · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 0

For a complete noob, if you can spare some knowledge, I'm looking to TR in the North Conway area and interested in Champney Falls (open to suggestions) around New Year's time. Not sure if the climbs will be in yet. Last year I tried Arethusa around the same time and was disappointed by the poorly formed conditions which I'm thinking were only due to a warm spell and it being such a large body of water rather than the time of year. But I digress, my question is, when is the early season around here (Oct-Nov I think?) or is early January considered early as well? I get that the conditions vary on a yearly basis but I'm just uncertain what the general consensus is. Also, is Champney falls a good destination for a beginner? I've previously climbed at Flume Gorge in February (good conditions) and had a blast, and Auburn Ice Canyon (decent late December conditions). I wanted to gather some insight in the hopes of having a worthwhile trip. Thank you!

Greg Shea · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 10

New years should be fine. Have fun!

anyone wana get out early tomorrow am??

Nolan Huther · · Potsdam, NY · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 510
Magnifique · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0
Christian DuBois wrote: For a complete noob, if you can spare some knowledge, I'm looking to TR in the North Conway area and interested in Champney Falls (open to suggestions) around New Year's time. Not sure if the climbs will be in yet. Last year I tried Arethusa around the same time and was disappointed by the poorly formed conditions which I'm thinking were only due to a warm spell and it being such a large body of water rather than the time of year. But I digress, my question is, when is the early season around here (Oct-Nov I think?) or is early January considered early as well? I get that the conditions vary on a yearly basis but I'm just uncertain what the general consensus is. Also, is Champney falls a good destination for a beginner? I've previously climbed at Flume Gorge in February (good conditions) and had a blast, and Auburn Ice Canyon (decent late December conditions). I wanted to gather some insight in the hopes of having a worthwhile trip. Thank you!

With the season we're having, its likely that stuff will be in by then. Technically January is still early in the season, but there has been a plethora of ice around already this year. If you're in doubt about what the ice is like, check the NEclimbs ice report or check at IME. Champney is a good beginner spot, but it often gets crowded as a result. 

Christian DuBois · · Fairhaven, MA · Joined Feb 2018 · Points: 0

Thanks, I just booked my trip and hoping for the best!

Rob Blakemore · · Boston, MA · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 105

Heya,

If you make use of the NEClimbs Ice report, consider kicking in a few bucks. Al's annual fundraiser is going on now. Link to fundraising appeal (click on the link for PayPal).

Cheers,
Rob

Ryan202 · · West Jordan, UT · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 130

Wife and i will be in connecticut for the week of xmas. Looming to get out to top rope for a day somewhere. Looking around in VT, NH. Any recommendations? Will also buy u a meal if we could join! Coming from utah

petzl logic · · Montreal, QC · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 0
Ryan202 wrote: Wife and i will be in connecticut for the week of xmas. Looming to get out to top rope for a day somewhere. Looking around in VT, NH. Any recommendations? Will also buy u a meal if we could join! Coming from utah

possibly unpopular opinion but add the catskills to the list. if it gets cold there’s awesome ice and more moderate temps than nh.  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "Northeastern Ice Climbing Stoke"