Yosemite vs. Squamish

Original Post
leo qiu · · Davis, CA · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 38

Hi,

I am on my 3 month off between jobs and wondering if I should spend 2 weeks in Squamish or 4 weeks in Yosemite/High sierra?

I do mostly Trad climbing, big wall and bouldering, I considered Squamish for its weather, but High sierra might have good weather in the month of August as well.

I live in California, probably not going to have another chance to go to Squamish. But August is really great for Sierra also, and I heard "Squamish" is "Yosemite's ugly cousin". 

Should I go to Squamish? Or just do more in Yosemite?

Thanks!

BryanOC · · All over · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 5

I've done 3x trips to Squamish and 1x trip to Yosemite.  Squamish is much smaller but just as nice IMO.  There are plenty of other cragging area's nearby besides the main area at the Chief.  Summer weather in BC is awesome!!  Much cooler than Yosemite.

Access is super easy, you literally park and walk 5min and you're at the base of the Chief.  

If this is your only chance.... I would go to Squamish!!!  There are some access issues brewing there between government/developers/locals, and us climbers are often on the short end of the stick.... so go now....

PM me if you have any other questions! 

Marcelo F · · Oakland, CA · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0

Kind of hard to lump Yosemite (including TM?) and High Sierra together. Wildly different places. I would probably choose Tuolumne or the High Sierra over Squamish, but that's just because I enjoy the mountain environment a lot more. If the choice was between the Valley and Squamish in August, I would go with Squamish no doubt. Fewer crowds and better weather.

I envy your dilemma. You'll have a blast either way.

Cheers!

caughtinside · · Oakland CA · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 1,470

Squamish is amazing. Go there. 

Hector Luevano · · San Diego, CA · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 10

Honestly sounds like a win - win.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply