Mountain Project Logo

Black Wall - Mt. Evans Conditions

Original Post
Robert Daniel. · · Denver, Colorado · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 120

Has anyone been up there in the past week or so? How is it looking?

delly84 Letts · · Golden, Co · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 154

https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/113086783/front-range-alpine-rock-conditions?page=2

Gold Plated Rocket Pony · 4 days ago · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 5

Did Good Evans today on the Black Wall. Route was dry and perfect although the occasional  ice chunks breaking off the wall to climber's left had our attention rapping in. Really only an issue for the rap in near the bottom if using the standard rappel route. Saw some big chunks come off after we topped out around 1pm.

Jay 1975 · · Bonedale,CO · Joined Nov 2001 · Points: 1,010

Is the top of undertow a waterfall yet or still dry?!

michalm · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 145

I was there earlier in June. Good Evans, Cary Granite, and Road Warrior were completely dry. Like Rocket Pony said, there were heavy ice artillery originating from nearby cornices bombarding the slopes a couple hundred feet away. With that said, these three routes have a giant roof overhead which protected them from both moisture and rockfall. No cracks were seeping and the topout was dry.

I did not take a look at Undertow so I can't comment. Sinners on Sunday was inaccessible due to steep snow on the way to and on top of the anchor. 

Gruff · · Littleton · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 15

Anyone have some more recent info on the snow above and below rainbow highway?  Thinking about heading there on Monday.

Nick Schlichtman · · Golden, CO · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 100

Climbed Sinners and Rainbow today. Was able to rap in via rainbow/sinners. Summit pitch is pretty soggy. Sinners is bone dry. P4 of Rainbow is a little wet but not a deterrent. Everything else dry. Getcha sum. 

Gruff · · Littleton · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 15

Sweet!  Thank you

shakey · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 30

Hey all, anyone been up to Mt Evans recently? sounds like everything should be dry by now but figured i'd check. Thanks, Jake

Robert Daniel. · · Denver, Colorado · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 120

Everything is pretty dry snow-wise, but it has been raining a ton recently up there, so certain upper pitches very well may be still wet. Undertow...

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply