2017 Petzl Sirocco (and Barrabes)

Original Post
Brian Abram · · Celo, NC · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 228

I just got two of Petzl's redesigned Sirocco. Here's some initial stuff.

Using a high quality scale:

My original Size 2 weighs 167g/5.9oz. 

The new Size S/M weighs 161g/5.7oz

The new Size M/L weighs 177g/6.2oz

There is a marked difference in the helmet's profile. The new version sticks up off the top of my head significantly less, and it will fit under a hood or into a chimney much better now:

I put a tape measure behind me, hung on that line in the wood panel. 

I didn't have an issue with the original Sirocco's durability, but the new one has a hard shell over the crown. The back also now comes down farther on the back of your head.

A shout to Barrabes from Spain http://www.barrabes.world/

I ordered late on Thursday. And the order is here today.

adeadhead · · Baltimore, Maryland · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 5

How'd you order yours? I'm not seeing them available yet, though Rock and Snow did say they'd just gotten them in as of last weekend. 

I simply ordered from Barrabes. Backcountry apparently has them

https://www.backcountry.com/petzl-sirocco-helmet?

mpech · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 6

anyone now where the white color version can be purchased? Black helmets get a lot warmer.... 

David Ponak · · Longmont, Colorado · Joined May 2014 · Points: 5

With the level of insulation the helmet provides and all the ventilation there is likely to be little difference on the surface of your head. Possibly if you were not moving and there was no breeze you would detect a slight difference - Bedouins wearing loose black robes in the desert for instance, are actually kept cooler - more shaded and cooled by convection. 

Nate Doyle · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 0

Reminds me of the Mammut Wall Rider but, with a smaller top and better foam texture/pattern:

Matt Shove · · Ragged Mountain · Joined May 2007 · Points: 95

I've been wearing a black one for a few weeks now.....it's not that warm at all. 

Doug Hutchinson · · Seattle, WA · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 80

Lower profile, better coverage and most important- it no longer has that oh so appealing botched-circumcision-of-Ronald-McDonald's-penis look...

climbslc · · SLC, UT · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 5

Did you go from an original size 2 to a new version size 2 or to a new size 1?

I went from size 2 to med/lg. My wife went from size 2 with the included padding added to the sides to a sm/med. The Med/lg fits slightly smaller than the old 2. 

climbslc · · SLC, UT · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 5

My son was a size 1 and was trying to decide if I should go up to a mg/lg (which I think I will). Thanks!

adeadhead · · Baltimore, Maryland · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 5

Just got mine. Love it. 

Zach Barber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 0
mpech wrote:

anyone now where the white color version can be purchased? Black helmets get a lot warmer.... 

The white version is supposed to come out in the fall. 

Northeast Alpine Start · · Conway, New Hampshire · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 46

I wrote a pretty long review on this here if anyone is interested: https://northeastalpinestart.com/2017/07/12/gear-review-petzl-2017-sirocco-climbing-helmet/

Jordan · · Wilmington, NC · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0

Fast shipping from Spain! haha Definitely interested in this new helmet and possibily retiring my old Meteor. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply