Costa Mesa - sport climbing near by?

Original Post
mcowde Cowdell · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 0

I'll be visiting family in Costa Mesa next week and was wondering if there is any sport climbing near by.  Looking to get out a couple early mornings for a few hours here and there. Thanks in advance.

Mike

Brian in SLC · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Oct 2003 · Points: 13,702

Unfortunately,  unless you want to go bouldering at the pirate's cove, Rockcreation might be your only spot...

I hear Laguna has some crags...but, that's a bit of a drive.

Randy · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2002 · Points: 1,521

Nearest sport climbing would be Riverside Quarry, which is about 45 min to 1 hour drive from CM, depending.  At this time of year, it can be very hot there, but early mornings it is fully in the shade and even on warm days you can climb to 11 a.m. or so.  You'll need a partner and at least a 60 meter rope. Do not climb or sit near others as there is loose rock and many careless/clueless climbers. Mid week starting at 6 am is ideal for getting a good bit of climbing in.

Alternatively, Rockreation is a fun gym and right in Costa Mesa.

Laguna crags will be warmish in the afternoon, super limited in possibilities, and probably not worth the bushwacking.

Thanks guys!  I've been to both Rockcreation and Sender One (in Orange County).  Sender One is a little further away than Rockcreation, but really good gym climbing.  I'll look into Riverside Quarry Randy.  Thanks for the tips.

Daniel T · · Riverside, Ca · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 35

Reach out to the Riverside Rock Climbers or Rim of the World climbing clubs on facebook.  they are both local to the quarry and you could find some partners there.

Thanks Daniel!

Ken Noyce · · Layton, UT · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 2,067
mcowde Cowdell wrote:

I'll be visiting family in Costa Mesa next week and was wondering if there is any sport climbing near by.  Looking to get out a couple early mornings for a few hours here and there. Thanks in advance.

Mike

As has been said, Riverside Quarry is the closest, but other options a bit further away include Malibu Creek State park which has lots of shade and a stream running through it to stay cool (1.5 hours from CM), you could also head up to holcomb valley up at big bear or hit up some of the highway 38 crags, but that is getting into a pretty long drive ( at least 1.5 hours to the lower highway 38 crags and 2.5 hours to holcomb Valley without traffic), and that's assuming that the current fire stays out of holcomb valley. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply