Mountain Project Logo

If no one's on route, is there a line?

D Hyp · · Pennsyl-tucky · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 20

Been climbing 20 years and in all locations, on all specs of the sport, in nearly every state...             thank god ive never met a mean soul at cliff side.

Was just in eldo 3 weeks ago and met some of the greatest heads anywhere. (Can't bitch about Boulder folk Tim)

Just be nice to people, people....this goes well beyond our love for the rock and the sport it's given us.  After all, after a hard weeks work dealing with mistakes in whatever office we hold, and raising kids,  or convincing parents/friends that just can't seem to understand why we climb these walls, aren't we just out here to find solace and rejoice in the relationships we maintain along that path?

Tim, let it slide brother.... not worth it man and there's a million routes out there. I'll look you up for some "outer space" when I'm out in oct:)

Patrik · · Third rock from Sun · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 30
rafael · · Berkeley, CA · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 35
mediocre wrote:

I got your point, and I'm sorry that you're buddy got hurt. But I can't support the notion that just because you're first on route means you own the route. If parties are able to pass safely then they should be allowed to pass safely. Key word being safely. I would also hope that it goes without saying, that faster parties or parties higher on the wall have an inherent responsibility to be vigilant about loose rock or any other safety issues that go along with being above other parties.

Back to my point that we are all out there to have fun. We are all climbing around on a bunch of rocks for christ sake. There's no need to be dicks to each other, just have a conversation, especially if you're able to while still on the ground.  

I did in fact miss this response.

Yes, they should allow the faster party to pass, if it seems like a good decision. But, they are the judge of that. Any other decision making process is too vague and leads to jerks passing and acting like they can just steamroll parties who are ahead

Peter Pitocchi · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 70

I always adhered to the rule of who flakes the rope first has the route first. Obviously if another party shows up then conversation can be had about exceptions.  

Flaking, not racking or shoes, or food or water.

It is incumbent on the first flaker to proceed expeditiously if a party is behind.

Ice4life · · US · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 330

This was a great morning read, just kinda skimmed. But oh boy. I thought I had issues.

9 pages. Just saying...

Jim T · · Colorado · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 469
tooTALLtim wrote:

Additional details:

• there are other climbs nearby that are similar in grade
  • only one other party at the whole formation (three total)

Based on these details, how the hell does the OP justify what they did?  The crag is empty, plenty of other similar climbs to do.

Aleks Zebastian · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 175

climbing friend,

if the parent they do not catch you masturbating at young age, do you still have deep-seated mental issue?

Climb On · · Everywhere · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0
Alexey Dynkin wrote:

This. I was at the base of a route, rope coiled, racked up and putting on my shoes when dude walks up drops his rope and announces that he's going first. I proceed to climb. Dude starts climbing moments later 3' to my left. Of course it becomes a cluster f* at the first anchor. No need for that nonsense.  

Edit: rope flaked

M Mobley · · Bar Harbor, ME · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 911
Adrienne DiRosario wrote:

This. I was at the base of a route, rope coiled, racked up and putting on my shoes when dude walks up drops his rope and announces that he's going first. I proceed to climb. Dude starts climbing moments later 3' to my left. Of course it becomes a cluster f* at the first anchor. No need for that nonsense.  

did the dude at least man-splain why? 

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0
Adrienne DiRosario wrote:

This is why you always carry a knife.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Trad Climbing
Post a Reply to "If no one's on route, is there a line?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started