Mountain Project Logo

Decent bouldering guidebook for Los Angeles?

Fat Dad · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 60

FYI.  I got an email from the publisher confirming that my pre-ordered copy has shipped.  

pkeds · · Broomfield, CO · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 30

I've held a copy on my hands. It's really really well done.

Wonder if this guidebook will convince me to back to tunnels...that place is terrifying.

Kevin Mokracek · · Burbank · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 342
pkeds wrote:

I've held a copy on my hands. It's really really well done.

Wonder if this guidebook will convince me to back to tunnels...that place is terrifying.

Where are the tunnels?

Mike Womack · · Orcutt, CA · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 2,015
Kevin Mokracek wrote:

Where are the tunnels?

Tunnels is probably the most concentrated bouldering spot in the Santa Monicas. In las virgenes canyon just south of piuma road junction.  

https://www.mountainproject.com/area/110778427/malibu-tunnel-boulders

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 349
Guy Keesee wrote:

Kevin..... the tunnels- in Malibux- are not for US old farts...  unless you never fall on V5 and below. 

Yes, agreed.  Really great bouldering spot, but lacking on moderates with nice landings.  

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

Does anyone have a tracking number that works? I have received three over the course of months despite only ordering a single book. None return anything more than "A postage label has been created..." No response to phone or email. 

kmyee · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 16
Ar Py wrote:

Does anyone have a tracking number that works? I have received three over the course of months despite only ordering a single book. None return anything more than "A postage label has been created..." No response to phone or email. 

Mine shows that it was shipped out yesterday and is on its way to my doorstep in Los Angeles, projected delivery is this Thursday. Usually the tracking numbers take at least a day after the package gets into the system to show anything. 

David N · · Los angeles · Joined May 2017 · Points: 5

I received 3 as well. The last one took a few days to work. The book should be in my mailbox when I get home today! 

Andrew Rice · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 11

I got an email a couple days ago (12/14) saying they'd mailed them. 

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

Cool, thanks for the replies, I'll be more patient. 

Sean Haynes · · Los Angeles · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 102

I have mine. Pretty book. Not sure how I feel about it. 

^^^

Why?

Sean Haynes · · Los Angeles · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 102

I'm not entirely sure what I expected. I can tell you I was excited to see it so I bought it. However, had I been given the chance to see it on the shelf and flip through the pages, I probably would not have bought it.

Good work,  just not what I want.

kmyee · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 16
Sean Haynes wrote:

I'm not entirely sure what I expected. I can tell you I was excited to see it so I bought it. However, had I been given the chance to see it on the shelf and flip through the pages, I probably would not have bought it.

So what would you rather see in a bouldering guidebook? It's got everything that I think a guidebook should have: full color and easy to read photos, route descriptions, approach beta, and a little bit of area history.

I'll have to wait until Xmas to find out what Sean means.  Mine arrived by mail at home and my wife has misappropriated it to put in my stocking for Xmas.  

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 349
Fat Dad wrote:

I'll have to wait until Xmas to find out what Sean means.  Mine arrived by mail at home and my wife has misappropriated it to put in my stocking for Xmas.  

Grounds for a divorce. 

pkeds · · Broomfield, CO · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 30
Sean Haynes wrote:

Yeah what did you expect dude?

I got mine. It's beautiful. You can tell a lot of work was put in to it. Well done matt and co. Much better than other guidebooks I have like the tram one.

So three pigs is a v3 now??

Sam Cieply · · Venice, CA · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 25
Mike Womack wrote:

So three pigs is a v3 now??

Bummed mine hasn’t arrived yet, but thrilled to wake up and learn that I am a v3 climber now! Thanks for the early Christmas present Mike!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern California
Post a Reply to "Decent bouldering guidebook for Los Angeles?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started