Shade at The Slab (Flatirons)?

Original Post
evan h · · Denver, CO · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 310

Hi All,

I've been up there once for a morning session, but it was cloudy and I never got the opportunity to see when sun hits the wall. I have the chance to get out mid-week and avoid the crowds, but I would only have the option for an afternoon session. I'm particularly interested in the upper routes, Super Cream - Undertow. Cheers!

Jamie gatchalian · · denver, co · Joined Jul 2006 · Points: 370

if i remember correctly, the upper part, where undertow and $00pr kr33m sit, starts getting sun in the early afternoon. it definitely starts to bake, but sometimes a good breeze blowing through can keep it manageable. hope that helps!

jarthur · · Westminster, CO · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 290

I was there yesterday and pretty much every weekend since February besides when it was too cold in March and April. The entire wall goes in the sun starting around 1pm and does not see shade till the sun starts to set. The upper routes near Undertow are some of the first routes to go into the sun. Shalohsh stays in the shade with the exception of the very top will stay in the sun which is the crux of the route.

The only option is Mentor and Superfresh, but I spoke with ranger yesterday and Superfresh is still off limits till end of July for raptors (maybe even Mentor b/c she said anything on the right side of the trail heading up to Bear Peak). 

evan h · · Denver, CO · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 310

Thanks guys, that's what I thought. It's going to take a hell of a breeze for me to climb in the sun in the summer!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply