Mountain Project Logo

gunks psa: Copperheads spotted around the guides' wall

Original Post
James Donigan · · Salt Lake City · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 30

just a heads up. saw a copperhead just off the trail right by hawk yesterday. keep an eye out and dogs close by when around this area. best to stay on dirt paths and avoid leaf litter off established trails. might be more prevalent in this area due to no humans around all of spring because of the closure and its recent lifting. 

Tylerpratt · · Litchfield, Connecticut · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 40

Yeah, the base of high E and the rap at the right of bonnies roof and there was one in a horizontal at the top of modern times (idk what the fuck he was doing up there) and I had one cross the trail when I was hiking out at night the other day too. 

Just keep your dogs on a leash. 

Thats just the past 3 weeks. 

Alicia Sokolowski · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 1,781

I have seen one in the tree stump by Northern Pillar every season for a couple of years.  Be aware that if you suddenly smell cucumbers, you might be close to one and just not see it.

simplyput . · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 60

Cucumbers, huh?

Emmett Lyman · · Stoneham, MA (Boston burbs) · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 480

I always thought cucumbers were a sign of rattlesnakes. Guess it doesn't matter much... don't wish to step on either of them. We came across one at the base of Double Crack a month or so ago (a copperhead, that is).

Alicia Sokolowski · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 1,781
simplyput wrote:

Cucumbers, huh?

That's the most common comparison I've heard to the musk they emit when upset, but, of course, it's subjective.  YMMV

ebmudder · · Bronx, NY · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 55

guarding the base of Sundance

Jake Cramer 1 · · State College, PA · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 125

I've always found that the cucumber scent is just an old wives tail. I've worked for the state of PA doing reptile and amphibian surveys, and encountered hundreds of rattlesnakes, and dozens of copperheads, and never once smelled cucumbers...

Copperhead bites in the Northeast are almost never medically serious, most often patients are simply given benadryl and monitored. Generally they are secretive, first relying on their (very good) camo. If spotted, they'll first try to retreat, and will only bite as a last resort. If you see one, don't try to kill it or move it, just simply leave it alone and it'll gladly do the same.

Mark Berenblum · · Gardiner, NY · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 105

Saw this cute little guy on the High Coroner trail. S/he was no more than 4" across all curled up, and I came very close to stepping on it.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "gunks psa: Copperheads spotted around the guide…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started