Separated shoulder and hang boarding

Original Post
Mark O'Neal · · Nicholson, GA · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 1,175

I separated my shoulder several years ago and it healed well enough without surgery. I've got the standard bump on my collar bone and that shoulder hangs a little funny, but it hasn't hurt to climb and it's basically full strength.

A week ago while climbing I felt some really uncomfortable sensations in that same shoulder and it felt like it "popped" out of joint. I was able to move it back into position with my other arm but that days climbing was done. The doctor said that I most likely didn't dislocate or tear anything in my shoulder. He seems to think that it just moved under stress within the confines of the looseness of my separated shoulder. Or perhaps I even tore some scar tissue as it is still a little painful a week later.

Within the last couple of months I had started hang boarding again and I am wondering if this incident with my shoulder could be as a result of stress induced from hang boarding. Maybe because I need to focus more on keeping arms slightly bent to protect the shoulder?

Anyone else have experience like this? Thoughts on hang boarding and separated shoulders?

Mark O'Neal · · Nicholson, GA · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 1,175

Bump. Anyone? Bueller?

Brendan N · · Salt Lake City, Utah · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 83

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply