Camping at Lumpy Ridge

Original Post
Alexander Molkentin · · Boulder · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

Is there any free camping around Lumpy Ridge.  Specifically around Sundance buttress

Andy Novak · · Golden, Co · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 305

Nope. The hike in doesn't take that long and is mostly flat. Be aware Sundance is closed until July 31 for Peregrine nesting. 

Robert Buswold · · Northglenn, CO · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 80

I seem to remember many years ago when I came to RMNP for some backpacking that I stayed up in Lumpy for a night. I had finished up the loop in RMNP proper, and then wanted another night nearby and that was suggested by a ranger.  I could be totally off base there though, because that trip was at least 10 years ago, before I even moved to CO.

Dharma Bum · · Glen Haven, Co · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 585

All backcountry camping in RMNP requires a permit which involves a fee. So there is no free camping.

Andy Novak · · Golden, Co · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 305

There is the McGregor Mt. site beyond Sundance up into Black Canyon, and Rabbit Ears site (good single pitch crack climbing IN CAMP) around the backside of the Ridge starting from the Cow Creek TH. I guess you could use these as a base for climbs, but they're out of the way and by the time you pay your $20 for a permit you're better off just walking in every day.   

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply