Keweenaw Peninsula - Houghton, MI

Original Post
Blake Beddow · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 85

Hey all, I'll be up in Houghton for work next week. I'm looking for partners to climb with at Cliff Dr on Tuesday and Wednesday afternoon 6/27-6/28. Any suggestions for ways to meet up, or possibly any decent boulders in the area? Thanks, Blake. 

Adam8 · · Durham, NC · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 0

Email climb@mtu.edu to get in touch with the Michigan Tech climbing club, someone might want to climb

Vincent M McLain · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 30

The majority of the climbers in Tech's climbing club don't climb trad. If you're able to find a partner, Silver Mountain is 30 minutes farther away and has some cool sport climbing.  As for bouldering, there are 8 or so boulders located south of the entrance trail to the Ice Fall area on Cliff Dr.  PM me if you need more info.  I'll be up in the Keweenaw The following weekend if you end up staying later.

VincentM McLain wrote:

The majority of the climbers in Tech's climbing club don't climb trad. If you're able to find a partner, Silver Mountain is 30 minutes farther away and has some cool sport climbing.  As for bouldering, there are 8 or so boulders located south of the entrance trail to the Ice Fall area on Cliff Dr.  PM me if you need more info.  I'll be up in the Keweenaw The following weekend if you end up staying later.

Ah, thanks. My understanding from browsing MP was that cliff dr had some sport, which is what I'm looking to climb. I'll check out the boulders for sure. 

Went to cliff drive. Has trouble finding any boulders. I parked at the gps coordinates listed for the crag and walked north to a two track entrance to the woods. I then followed a trail that paralleled the road and eventually took me to the top of the cliff via a drainage. Any idea where I was? I'm trying to find the boulders near the ice fall area. I tried going up a two track further south on the cliff dr. This entrance looked promising (boulders peaking out) but it looked like someone's house was back there. Any additional beta would be helpful. Thanks!

Bill Thompson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 5

Just sent you a message.......

Bill Thompson wrote:

Just sent you a message.......

Thanks Bill! I believe I talked to you at downwind, and received the guide yesterday. 

Bill Thompson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 5

Perfect hope that helps!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply