Mountain Project Logo

Brand new gallows

Original Post
Nivel Egres · · New York, NY · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 130

So I have modified my hanging spot - switched to BM2000 and considering getting rid of TRPTC all together. It's just too harsh on the skin. The only thing missing from BM2000 are thinner crimps (I know they sell them separately but you can't find them in the US) and need for a few proper jugs to warm up. Does anyone know of a US company that makes these? I recall there was one in CO but I can't remember the name. 

Also, any smart ideas on how to hang my cell phone in front of me while hanging? I used to throw an iPad on the floor but recently fell on it so I want a better solution.

also, for BM2000 owners - what other holds have you added that you felt were lacking?

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 2,745

Would you want to trade the RPTC for 4 pair of (homemade) wood crimp rails (10.5, 12, 14, and 16.5 mm wide) and 1 pair of wooden warmup jugs?

Mark E Dixon · · Sprezzatura, Someday · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 549
Nivel Egres wrote:

Does anyone know of a US company that makes these? I recall there was one in CO but I can't remember the name. 

https://www.tensionclimbing.com

Tension makes nice looking wooden holds, but I haven't seen any of them in real life. 

I bought a 32mm campus rung from them. I don't like the edge radius, it's too sharp. I prefer the rounded metolius edges. 

However, I didn't want to buy 5 rungs so went with Tension. Shipping was a bit high for a single rung, but that's life. Came nicely packaged! It's doing the job.

The Beastmaker site sells single rungs IIRC, but shipping was even worse.

Mark E Dixon wrote:

https://www.tensionclimbing.com

Tension makes nice looking wooden holds, but I haven't seen any of them in real life. 

The Beastmaker site sells single rungs IIRC, but shipping was even worse.

Mark, thanks so much! This one is exactly the one I thought about.

BM also sells micro-crimps as a set (10mm, 8mm and 6mm) which is what I need but they apparently do not ship them as well as they are sold out for near future (or so they said a month ago). The 0.5" screw-on edges (they got sloppy, convex and concave) from Tension would probably do the job. They got round jugs too, so I might be set there. 

I made an adjustable pinch block out of 3 pieces of 3/4 plywood (it's hanging on the side there). Way better than pinches on the Trango board. For now I just hang on the block with 2 hands but I might use it with a weight instead later.

Mark E Dixon · · Sprezzatura, Someday · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 549
Nivel Egres wrote:

Mark, thanks so much! This one is exactly the one I thought about.

BM also sells micro-crimps as a set (10mm, 8mm and 6mm) which is what I need but they apparently do not ship them as well as they are sold out for near future (or so they said a month ago). The 0.5" screw-on edges (they got sloppy, convex and concave) from Tension would probably do the job. They got round jugs too, so I might be set there. 

I can take a picture of the ring maybe when I get home if you like. 

It's well made, nicely finished. 

Mark E Dixon wrote:

I can take a picture of the ring maybe when I get home if you like. 

It's well made, nicely finished. 

It's ok, I'll probably just order it tonight. 

Tristan Bradford · · Oklahoma City, OK · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 483
Chase D · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 195

Hmm, pretty cheap and effective, i did not think about it ! Thanks!

Peter Beal · · Boulder Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,740

Scrap pile at Home Depot or just buy the wood. 5 bucks tops

Peter Beal wrote:

Scrap pile at Home Depot or just buy the wood. 5 bucks tops

While that would be my solution normally, this is hanging in my living room and has to pass inspection by my Mrs. That, unfortunately, calls for a presentable commercial product 

Peter Beal · · Boulder Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,740

sand and varnish as appropriate and it will look just fine   

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply