Bro, are you spotting me?

Original Post
Nivel Egres · · New York, NY · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 50

A minor rant warning. I've had a few baddish experiences with spotters over thelast year. First, I tell the guy to watch me when I was doing a heel-toe cam and that's the exact moment he drops me. Twisted my ankle. Another time, I ask the guy to spot me and he has his hands in his pockets when I fall. No damage, but my head barely missed the boulder behind me.  A few more less memorable but equally unpleasant cases that are not worth mentioning.

Spotting is not any different from belaying. It requires attention. It could save someone's ankles if not life. Please.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 15

Educate me, because I don't know much about spotting. I thought the idea was to keep the head and shoulders off the ground,  not to prevent twisted ankles?  How does a spotter prevent an ankle injury?

FrankPS wrote:

Educate me, because I don't know much about spotting. I thought the idea was to keep the head and shoulders off the ground,  not to prevent twisted ankles?  How does a spotter prevent an ankle injury?

in this case, I was camming  my foot in a groove while my hands where on really bad crimps. When I fell, my foot got stuck. An attentive spotter should have supported my shoulders for a split moment and the foot would have fallen out before I twisted it.

Jaren Watson · · Boise, Idaho · Joined May 2010 · Points: 1,195

And, just like belayers, spotters should be chosen with care.

Sorry you got hurt. Hope you're healed up quickly.

Jaren Watson wrote:

And, just like belayers, spotters should be chosen with care.

Beggars can not be choosers. These days I am lucky to have a spotter at all most time I get out :(

David Kerkeslager · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 30

Nivel, are you bouldering in Central Park?

s.price · · PS,CO · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 1,038
Nivel Egres wrote:

Beggars can not be choosers. These days I am lucky to have a spotter at all most time I get out :(

So true. It's almost impossible to get someone here to go bouldering. My wife provides an exceptional spot. I just go out more than she does.

Because of this I climb most often within my comfort zone. Just like having a great belayer who is supportive, a solid spot inspires the climber.

David Kerkeslager wrote:

Nivel, are you bouldering in Central Park?

Yeah, during the week. Usually go upstate on the weekends, feel free to join :)

s.price wrote:

So true. It's almost impossible to get someone here to go bouldering. My wife provides an exceptional spot. I just go out more than she does.

Because of this I climb most often within my comfort zone. Just like having a great belayer who is supportive, a solid spot inspires the climber.

If it feels hard in CO, imagine how it is in the NYC. The whole "dude, I am too hung over to climb tomorrow" thing is a whole new layer. My solution has been to shift more toward lowball problems...

s.price · · PS,CO · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 1,038

That's gotta be tough. I always get "I don't boulder man". 

Doesn't stop me. It has led me to more long traversing and lower problems. Lucky enough to have some great traverses here to which I have been adding variations.

Trouser Trout traverse V5, now has a low variation at V8. At 40 ft long with the optional finish onto Anglers Arete V3, an excellent workout. 

Working on just the opposite down in Piedra Canyon.  A high variation  I feel is V9 to Main Traverse 2.0. 

A whole new area on the way into the canyon called the Alley House. What makes this place stand out is the alley shape and 30 degree overhang on the uphill side and corresponding slope of stone 10 feet away below. The wall is 18ft tall. 30ft long. I'm pretty stoked. Doing what I feel comfortable with. 

I hope your spotter situation improves. 

David Kerkeslager · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 30
Nivel Egres wrote:

Yeah, during the week. Usually go upstate on the weekends, feel free to join :)

I'd be down to head up to Central Park on weekdays after work and maybe some Gunks trips later (this weekend is busy). I don't drink so the "too hung over to boulder" thing won't happen. Send me a PM, I'll spot you properly. :)

RER · · Southern California · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 3,110

Has spotting evolved overtime with the presents of crash pads? Or has spotting always been a thing even back in day of old school crusher who only had a small towel on the ground to wipe off their shoes?

sherb · · Loveland, Ohio & Wheat Ridg... · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 0

I admit, I am a terrible spotter. Most of the time I am thinking, "please don't fall and squish me." My best spotters are twice my weight, and tall, for less momentum to build by my falling body. Any less, not effective.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply