Beginner Top Roping near Cookeville, TN?

Original Post
Max Scott · · Cookeville, TN · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

Hoping to get some input from the community on this.

My wife and I are new to climbing, been going to the gym in Nashville for the past three months or so and would like to make our first venture into outdoor climbing.

We both only climb 5.8 maybe 5.9, so we're trying to find some easier routes in the area to get started on. I've checked around the locations here on MP and it seems like Black Mountain would probably best suit our needs. But looking at the routes it only lists them as sport or trad, so does anyone have any recommendations on what routes can be top roped? 

Or if there's another place that would be more appropriate than Black Mountain I'd love to hear any suggestions. 

Does anyone have any good info on beta for Black Mountain or surrounding areas? MP Doesn't have anything other than boulder problems. Climb Midwest has a ton of routes listed for Black Mountain, but how does someone go about distinguishing one route from another?

Also, recommendations for anchor building materials for the area?

Thanks for the input!  

Jameson Young · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0

check with climb nashville about when they are taking a group outdoors, I know they take day trips prediodically to a crag. However, i know the spots are limited and pricey. You can also check with outdoor experience here in cookeville, they also occasionally take groups out. I have no idea the cost, schedule, or how many people they take out. If you can find a group to go out with that is experienced in lead climbing your options for places grow tremendously.  Remember everytime a route is lead it then becomes a top rope route until you pull the rope. 

Also ill keep this post in mind and if i get a free day and the weather would actually cooperate for once ill shoot you a message and maybe we can head up to Monterey crag, it's not on mp.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply