First outside corner free solo ascent?

Original Post
thehackattacks · · Park City, UT · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 2,553

Just got the first free solo ascent of outside corner. How do i contact the FA party to let them know or the guide book authors to let them know? Thanks as always guys!  

Eric Fjellanger · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2008 · Points: 840

You don't need to contact them, they'll contact you.

s.price · · PS,CO · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 1,348

This could be entertaining. Or not. Either way I am hungry so I am gonna grab some popcorn.

David Meyer · · Out Yonder West · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 50

Haha! Nope.

BigB · · Red Rock, NV · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 340

probably done by a ute awhile back

Draw Thief · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 30

John Badila · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 15

Assuming for the moment that you're serious, I've never noticed a guidebook publishing the names of climbers who got the "first free solo ascent" of anything, much less a popular easy route, unless it was also the FA.  But you could try contacting the publishers and see what they say.  BTW, the Ruckman guide doesn't even list the FA party for that route, so good luck getting in touch with those oldtimers, whoever they were.  Also, no, you almost certainly didn't.  

Jplotz · · Wenatchee, WA · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 955

Shit. First nude ascent surely to follow.

John Barritt · · OKC · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 1,053
John Badila wrote:

Assuming for the moment that you're serious, I've never noticed a guidebook publishing the names of climbers who got the "first free solo ascent" of anything, much less a popular easy route, unless it was also the FA.  But you could try contacting the publishers and see what they say.  BTW, the Ruckman guide doesn't even list the FA party for that route, so good luck getting in touch with those oldtimers, whoever they were.  Also, no, you almost certainly didn't.  

This is probably due to Honnold getting "credit" for the first freesolo ascent of freerider.

To the OP, pics please............ ;)

Creed A · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 775

I free solo that route every Tuesday, barefoot with no chalk. ;)

Greg Gavin · · SLC, UT · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 713

haha hackattacks you've been on one lately. first bolting mexican crack, and now this! where will your insane progression lead to next?!

Tylerpratt · · Litchfield, Connecticut · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 35

First upside down ascent of Prime Climb at White stone Cliff in CT a few months ago. You've seen it here first!

Tom Hore · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 160
Greg Gavin wrote:

haha hackattacks you've been on one lately. first bolting mexican crack, and now this! where will your insane progression lead to next?!

It's about time someone bolted Mexican Crack.  That thing makes my little heart quiver.

Jason Antin · · Golden, CO · Joined May 2009 · Points: 1,270

Nice Kid! Quincy Quarries are wicked - epic solo, especially on topa all that grafiftti.

Justin Fisher · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined May 2013 · Points: 0

Please don't tell me that you actually bolted Mexican Crack.

Anyone been up there to check yet?

BigNobody · · all over, mostly Utah · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 10

Yup, Mexican Crack is bolted. Just climbed it.

BobGray · · Salt Lake City, Utah · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 635

100% certain the Outside Corner has been free soloed before by more than one person

Boissal · · Small Lake, UT · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 1,300

100% certain half of you guys need to either fix your sarcasm detectors or pour coffee on your keyboards to prevent further typing of idiotic messages... 

Quick, the internet says Mexican has been bolted, must dispatch an inspections squad!

Quick, someone is claiming the first free solo of a road-side 5.7, must provide historical denial!

b Light · · Salt Lake City, Utah · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 0

Did you really bolt mexican crack?  Did you ask the first ascent  party?  That is the general ethics.  

zoso · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2007 · Points: 465

English 2nd language?  Did you read Boissal's comment? 

Matt Selman · · Salt Lake City · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 200

God, this thread

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply