Mission Gorge climbing after gate closes?

Original Post
Bowens · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 60

I went to Mission Gorge yesterday and parked outside the gate.  I was on a route around 7pm when a ranger drove through and started saying something on a megaphone.  I couldn't quite understand her but it sounded like she was telling us to leave.  I didn't see any signs or notices saying anything about climbing after gate closures.  Is there a rule or policy regarding this?

steven dumaresq · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 5

The last time that I was at Mission after they closed the gate the only thing I heard the ranger saying over the megaphone was for someone to move their car that had been parked inside the gate so that they won't get a ticket. I have not had a problem climbing there after dark. Hope this helps!

s.price · · PS,CO · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 1,348

Isn't there a ranger station you can call? Then you could answer this and post up here as a public service. 

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275
s.price wrote:

Isn't there a ranger station you can call? Then you could answer this and post up here as a public service. 

Of course there is. That is the obvious answer, yet it eludes people to do that.

FrankPS wrote:

Of course there is. That is the obvious answer, yet it eludes people to do that.

There is a visitor center, not a ranger's station (at least not one with a number available online).  However, while there is nothing posted in or around the climbing area that indicates any after-hours climbing regulations, I know that many people climb there and someone probably already knows the status.  

Why so hostile?

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275

Bowens,

I called the VIsitor Center and asked. You may be in the park, climbing or otherwise, after the park is closed to vehicular traffic. See their website for park hours. You should park outside of the park if you will still be there after the park is closed to cars (that one sentence has the word, "park," three times!).

FrankPS wrote:

Bowen,

I called the VIsitor Center and asked. You may be in the park, climbing or otherwise, after the park is closed to vehicular traffic. See their website for park hours. You should park outside of the park if you will still be there after the park is closed to cars (that one sentence has the word, "park," three times!).

Thanks for calling Frank.  That was my understanding based on everything I read online and physically at the Gorge, but my experience yesterday made me question whether I was missing something.  

Danielle Donnelly · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0

The Rangers use the mega phone when someone is parked inside the gate when they are about to lock it, I've heard them multiple times. It's a good reminder

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply