Williamson/Tyndall

Original Post
Mike Patterson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0

Trip reports? Upper mountain conditions? Has anyone attempted the east ridge yet?

TIA!

Kyle vH · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 3

I skied out of Onion Vally last weekend (University Peak), still tons of snow above 10,000ft.

Fat Dad · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 5

Kyle, did you do University's north side?  Hoping I can get up there soon but was wondering whether you'd need snowshoes, or just an early start before the snow softens up.  

Kyle vH · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 3

Yes, in fact that's a picture of the N face from 8 days ago. It's pretty warm now I'm not sure how much overnight freezing there is anymore but someone else may know. 

The approach from Onion Valley Trailhead along Kearsarge Pass is a very well-travelled path by through hikers and they did not have snowshoes, I was in sneakers. Then at about 10,500 you head toward University (the foreground in my photo). That section will still have snow and no path I'd bet, but we didn't posthole until after 9:30am. From there you can possibly gain the summit just in the scree fields which are mostly devoid of snow (on the right side of my photo below the horizon). But you'd posthole on the way back.

Respectfully you might want to try a hiking-specific forum like summit post for these details I'm not sure many rock climbers are in this area--I was there to ski.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply