Info on Cochise Stronghold and Mount Lemmon Needed

Original Post
Andrew Ingals · · Lake Forest · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 420

Hey y'all!  I'm gonna be in southern AZ from early July to mid-August.  I haven't found any climbing partners yet, and if I don't, I'd still like to at least do some soloing.  Any ideas on specific areas in Cochise Stronghold and Mount Lemmon where sport or trad routes' bolted anchors are accessible by foot to establish TR anchor points?  Thanks!

Candace Gossen · · Denver · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

There is a FB page for Cochise climbing... give a shout out for climbing partners. A new guidebook was or is being released to check on TR anchors. 

jasonhillva · · VA · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 0

Andrew when are you going to be out there?  I'm looking to go out sometime around then and I also don't have a partner.  I will probably higher a guide.

Bryan Nickola · · Tucson, AZ · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 15

For Mt Lemmon, North Fin and the practice wall at Windy Point are the places I have TR soloed. Easy access to the anchors. 

Chris treggE · · Madison, WI · Joined May 2007 · Points: 9,150

I think you can walk to the top of Trad Rock to anchor to the top bolts.  https://www.mountainproject.com/v/105738059

Wow!  Some great info here.  Thank you all so much!  I know it's gonna be hot, hot, HOT but I plan to climb in the earlier hours of the morning or later in the evening (gotta catch me some gorgeous desert sunsets).  Keep'em coming, please!

Jaren Watson · · Boise, Idaho · Joined May 2010 · Points: 1,205

I'll second Windy Point on Mt Lemmon. Easy to access.

jasonhillva wrote:

Andrew when are you going to be out there?  I'm looking to go out sometime around then and I also don't have a partner.  I will probably higher a guide.

Jason, I will be in that area from 9 July until 18 August and am looking to on the weekends.

cochiseclimbing · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 125

No matter how hard you search it will be hard to find a cool place to climb in the Stronghold right now. Once the monsoons start, soon we hope, it does cool off a bit and it can be possible to venture out after a nice rain. The left side of the Sheepshead gets shade in the morning and the right side in the afternoon. I know of some people that regularly climb it all summer if they follow these aspects. Starting July 1st the Rockfellows open up again from the peregrine closures and there are some N facing deep chasm climbs that would work. Plan carefully around a monsoon storm or climb fast. I will be hosting a guidebook release party on July 14th at Dragoon Brewing Co. and will have a slideshow to showcase the climbing there. You can also pick up one of the first copies of the East Side book and get a complimentary beer.

Hope to see you there and I can answer and specific questions you might have. Tanya

fvclimb · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 80

Its easy to rope solo at avalon and the murray wall as well up near the summit of mt. Lemmon. Also these areas are at nearly 9000 feet so are good for the summer.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply