Mountain Project Logo

COCHISE STRONGHOLD GUIDEBOOK, INFORMATION, and CLIMBING PARTNER MEETUP

Original Post
wwwcochiseclimbing com · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 140

Well,  I finally finished it.  Come help me celebrate at Dragoon Brewing Co. on July 14th at 6pm.

Both the East and West Side Books will be available with  a nice slipcover to house them both as a "Complete" set.

There will be a complimentary beer with each guidebook purchase. Have you tried their Stronghold Session? Could it have a better name?

I will put on a slideshow to feature some of the new areas and get you inspired for the fall season.

We are glad to hear that the Lizard Fire was contained to the northern areas and did not reach our beloved Rockfellow Group. A portion of beer sales is being donated to the Benson Volunteer Fire Department to thank them and all the wildlands firefighters for their incredible efforts.

chris tregge · · Madison WI · Joined May 2007 · Points: 11,036

Congrats!!!!! Can't wait to see it!!!!1

TravKlein · · Tempe, AZ · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 380

Yessssssss! Can't wait to scoop one. Nice work! 

Alex "Tojo" Kray · · Chandler, AZ · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 100

Was our pre-order for the guidebook only for the west side or was it for both? 

-Tojo

Come get the scoop on ALL the routes on the East Side!
jbak x · · tucson, az · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 4,672

What Alex Kray said.

And some of us are climbing tomorrow so won't be there.

I am so grateful to those who pre-purchased when I thought it was only going to be one book as it helped me get started without a business loan or a publisher before I knew how big the project would be.  I don't want to offend anyone by my enthusiasm and naivete when I started the project so I am going to work something out and will send out an email to you all soon.

jbak-I admire your commitment to climbing over free beer. Everyone is chomping at the bit to get up there since the fire. Guess I can take out all the photos of where to find the 5.12 steep routes from the slideshow now. Glad the Forest Fire is contained. Dragoon Brewery is donating a portion of tonight's sales  to the Benson Volunteer Fire Department for their efforts in the Lizard Fire. Thanks to all the Wildland Firefighters out there.

jbak x · · tucson, az · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 4,672

Tanya... I don't _really_ expect anything more for my pre-purchase.  I was kind of surprised to get the first book !

Can't quite parse your comment about 5.12 steep routes.    Edit: oh...wait...I think I get it.

The  mountain was EMPTY yesterday.  Only saw 2 fire vehicles and a sheriff.  And a few cyclists.  Upper butterfly lot was empty.

JB

Hendrixson · · Littleton, CO · Joined Sep 2007 · Points: 3,290

Any plans to set up a table at Rocks & Ropes?  What is a best way to obtain a copy?

John, yes, I will have a table at Rocks & Ropes at 5:30 p.m. Monday - Friday this week. Otherwise, the best way to get a copy at the moment is to order from cochiseclimbing.com.

Thanks for all the orders, 

I left out that they are available at www.cochiseclimbing.com. There is an option to order both books as a set with the slipcover. If you already have the West Side book, send a note with your East Side book purchase and I will send a slipcover to hold both books. Looks like this:

Tanya, thank you so much for the book and the nice note.  I'm not exaggerating when I say that it's one of the best done climbing guidebooks that we've seen (and I'm a guidebook nut).  Can't wait for our Thanksgiving trip!  All the best,radek & Shirley 

THANK YOU for your kind words and hope you have an awesome trip. Let me know if you need help slimming down the route options.  Tanya

Will McConaughy · · Tucson, AZ · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 994

Killer book, one of the best IMHO. It's sitting on top of my toilet next to A Brief History of Time and a Dec 2016 copy of Nat Geo where (other than the crag) it will see the most traffic!!

I think I'm putting the Labyrinth on my-top-10-climbs-to-do-before-I die list, it looks wild. Thanks for putting in all that hard work Tanya, it shows!

I have been getting lots of orders for the guidebooks with request for delivery for Thanksgiving Weekend. According to USPS if you get me your order by Friday I will have it in the mail in time for your trip.  Look forward to seeing your down here.  You can order here: www.cochiseclimbing.com Tanya

Getting more books orders with delivery requests for a Christmas road trip or Christmas gifts. It seems the mail is starting to slow down for the season so please allow 5-6 days for delivery unless you want me to express ship. Please put a note in the delivery section and I will get them to you ASAP.  Thanks again, Tanya

I wanted to share this little gem that I got from a fellow climber who had another great bit of history to share:

For a long, long time, the Nde (Chiricahua Apache) have called this area, Nde Bikeeya, home. With powerful granite domes, golden grasslands, and diverse flora and fauna, it’s no wonder why.

In the mid-1800s, Chief Cochise and 1000 Nde lived here, evading capture by the US Army for 15 years as “hostile Indians.” Historically, their mobility has been an asset: hard to track means hard to capture, so they were one of the last groups of hostiles.

Yet, the Nde are much more than how American history portrays them, much more than hostile Indians.

In the words of Silas Cochise, Chief Cochise’s great great grandson, on the Chiricahua Mountains and surrounding land: “These mountains are the Chiricahua Apache homeland. Apaches lived and raised their children here. They grew old and died here. Apaches sang songs and said prayers in these mountains. Their songs and prayers became ours. For this I am thankful.

This was my great grandfather’s land. Cochise juyah. Cochise was his name. This is where he was born, this is where he grew up, and this is where he died… I make it a point to come and journey here with my family every now and then. I have great respect for this land that belonged to my great grandfather.” // camping and climbing over the weekend, paying respect to the traditional land and knowledge keepers, the Nde ✨

We are tired of house renovations and the heat in Tucson so our plan is to head out to camp and climb this weekend in the Stronghold. If anyone else is planning on being out there we will be at the East Side open camping area.  Would love to share a few beers!

Live Perched · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 21

I wish.  We have both East and West. Great books. Thank for writing them.  Very happy to see this thread again!

Thanks for your support Live Perched! The first day of the season in the Cochise Stronghold went like this for us: There is a slight breeze, temps in the 70s, big puffy clouds drifting across the blue sky, and towering granite domes fill the skyline. I am yelping with joy at the end of each pitch as we cruised up pitch after pitch of intricate slab, plate, and face climbing.

I had bilateral bunion surgery last year and I wanted to try out my new feet on REAL Cochise Slab. Tried Stampede on the Sheepshead and had the most incredible time learning how to climb with big toes that are straight.

To celebrate this day and to encourage all of you to try out the majestic, chartreuse plates, pink granite domes, and amazing climbing the Cochise Stronghold has to offer I am putting the guidebooks on sale through the weekend. Pick some up and plan your winter climbing trip to this incredible destination!
COCHISE STRONGHOLD GUIDEBOOKS

Chicken Head · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2018 · Points: 0

Cochiseclimbing, we’ll be out there in early December with the East and West book.  What’s the status of the rap anchor (single historic bolt or chains) on Whale Dome and how beat up/washed out the road to Road’s End is?  All the best. Thanks for the guides. 

Chicken Head wrote: Cochiseclimbing, we’ll be out there in early December with the East and West book.  What’s the status of the rap anchor (single historic bolt or chains) on Whale Dome and how beat up/washed out the road to Road’s End is?  All the best. Thanks for the guides. 

I am assuming you want to get on Moby Dick. The route has had all the old bolts replaced and the rap anchor is good to go! Passenger cars do not have enough clearance, SUV drove gently does.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Arizona & New Mexico
Post a Reply to "COCHISE STRONGHOLD GUIDEBOOK, INFORMATION, and…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started