Mountain Project Logo

What holds should I get next?

Original Post
Bryant T · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

tldr: What holds should I get next?

I have a 20'x30' space where 3 walls are climbable plus the entire ceiling (but the ceiling is completely flat). I have a few hundred holds ranging from smalls to a (very) few XL's. Most of my holds are from atomik, 3ball, synrock, and rocky mountain so I am lacking anything really "exotic".

What I am wanting to achieve is to be able to set a large variety of routes and also routes that you actually have to "solve" (vs just holding on harder). I'm thinking I need a lot of unique holds like Fractals set from Kingdom or This slopey set from Kilter with several smaller holds of similar styles. I also want to make more use of my ceilings which sort of requires nothing but large and expensive holds. I think this can be done with sets similar to The chickenheads set from Kingdom or The Lugs set from Kingdom.  This would allow knee bars, toe hooks, bat hangs, mantles, palming, etc... All of which are difficult to do without larger holds.

Getting volumes is another approach that I believe gets me closer to my goals. It can add a lot of variety to the ceilings.

Am I missing something? I want to add variety and make it fun and it seems my current holds are holding me back. Is there another holds set that I could get to achieve the same thing?

See image for my woody

Thanks

Bryant T · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

Wow... Thanks! I hadn't even considered Solve climbing. The Valley jugs look exactly like what I need! A pocket, edge, jug, & sloper all in one! And other items from Solve are comparable in price and offer some unique twist.

Volumes are great and I plan on building some in the future. I just want to build large volumes that can be attached using bolts instead of screws. I haven't figured out how to do that yet... A lot more complexity than you imagine vs a volume that is permanent. Any resources would help. HRT seems to be the only one that makes large bolt-on volumes.

My homewall is my primary source of climbing/bouldering. Nearest gym worthy of going  to are over an hour away. Life prevents me from spending an hour on the road each way. So I use my homewall as a way to hang out and have fun and climb with friends and family. The training is just a bonus but definitely helps when, once every year or two (or three) that I find myself outdoors.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "What holds should I get next?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started