Mountain Project Logo

Beta inquiry for climbing at Echo Cliffs or Malibu Creek

Original Post
Andy Ngo · · San Diego, CA · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 89

Hi there,

I'm thinking of going to Echo Cliffs or Malibu Creek for some weekend climbing. Does anyone have any beta on (free) camping? Having a particularly hard time finding easily accessible camping within a reasonable distance. Do people visit these crags almost exclusively as day trips? 

Any help is appreciated.

Andy.

Benjamin Chapman · · Small Town, USA · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 13,267

Hey Andy,

Yeah...most folks climb at Malibu Creek and Echo Cliffs as day trips. There is camping at Malibu Creek, but it tends to be pricey and not very inspiring. For Echo Cliffs there are campgrounds at the various state parks like Leo Carillo, El Matador, but it's a good distance away down Decker Cyn road. Your best bet is to contact Devlin Gandy (search MP database). Devlin lives in the area and boulders in the Santa Monicas and can point you in the right direction. Careful,  it's pretty hot out there these days.

Mike Womack · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 1,526

Hey Andy, I grew up in Agoura and am quite familiar with the area.  Any kind of camping besides designated campsites (Malibu creek SP, circle X ranch, leo carillo, musch in Topanga canyon) would be sleeping in your car on a nice pullout or it would be some illegal hike and camp in somewhere.  If you are looking for spots to hide, give me a PM and I'll give you any info I can.  Also, Devlin, a good friend of mine, isn't active on MP and probably won't see your message btw.

Thank you for the help Ben and Mike! I guess I may have to consider the day trip or a new crag considering the weather this weekend. Stay cool!

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 310

Andy......    Camping in the Santa Monica Mts. is like camping in San Diego County .........  you B trespassing and breaking some sort of law if you are doing it.  

This would be a good weekend to go to Horse Flats... Bouldering and Climbing -- camp ground right there -https://www.mountainproject.com/v/horse-flats/105920760

-and OR "the tunnels" ...https://www.mountainproject.com/v/tunnel-crag/106559700  one can camp right there or at Buckhorn CG (really nice... feels a lot like Sequoia.  Also some stuff downstream from Buckhorn....   I can't seem to find it on MP now...???  Tristin put up some sport stuff down by some pools. 

Thanks Guy! I'll definitely have to check out those areas.

AndrewArroz · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 10

Not the beta you're seeking but I was at Echo a couple weeks ago BEFORE this big heat wave and it was sweltering past about 11 AM. I'd hold off on any trips there until things cool down a bit. 

When I go to ECHO I always go late.... this time of year, I get to the bottom at 3 pm, and I stay till it's Dark. The place cools down a ton on most days once the sun is gone. Most people are gone by 3 because it's to hot. 

AndrewArroz · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 10
Guy Keesee wrote:

When I go to ECHO I always go late.... this time of year, I get to the bottom at 3 pm, and I stay till it's Dark. The place cools down a ton on most days once the sun is gone. Most people are gone by 3 because it's to hot. 

that's a good idea. Timed with the right moon that could also make for a gorgeous hike out.

I always bring a headlamp and a sweater.... now.

At one time I would do the hike sans headlamp.... 

One time the trail collapsed under my friend Jeff, and he went for long ride down about 40 feet and was impailed on a tree top... the top of the tree went just under his arm pit and trapped him and his pack upside down hanging about 10 feet off the ground in the middle of the nastiest PO forest one can imagine. So we marched in to the ripe PO and rescued Jeff...... LJ made us strip down to underwear before we could get into his wife's BMW for the ride home.

Then one time I was hiking on a moonlit nite, walked through a shadow, and hooked my boot between 2 rocks.... the resulting fall was bad.... I tore my quadriceps clean off of my knee ...!!! Surgery and 6 months in a full leg cast followed 

So if going to ECHO be extra careful on that trail in the dark... it can bite.

Jay Thompson · · oxnard, CA · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

Look on to wheeler gorge in Ojai. There a few camp grounds near there. And free camp grounds at rose valley.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply