Climbing near Show Low/ Pine Top

Original Post
TeresaG · · tucson az · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 0

Hi guys,

Curious if anyone is aware of any climbing ( sport or trad) in the White Mountains? I've had very little luck finding anything in this area. Any help would be appreciated as the only place I've uncovered is Schoens Dam. 

Thanks,

T

walmongr · · Gilbert AZ · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 50

Closest places I know of are Winslow wall and  isolation canyon in payson.  Not really white Mountains but less then 2 hours to each... 

Candace Gossen · · Denver · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

Jack's Canyon, north. or Chiricahuas south. depends on where you are in the White Mountains

s.price · · PS,CO · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 1,038

Not sport or trad but some great bouldering in Heber. Do not remember the name of the road but the grocery is where you turn off. 

Dj telle · · Tucson, Arizona · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 530

Seneca Falls in the Salt river canyon has lots of trad and sport but its "closed" 

GilaShot · · Western Antarctic, New Engl... · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 0

Shones Dam between Show Low and Snowflake.  A hand full of short but fun sport routes.  You can see the cliffs on the left when heading towards Snowflake from Show Low.  Inspect the bolts and cold shut anchors well first!

Jake G · · The Great State of Arizona · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 15

Found this when I updated my app today. 

https://www.mountainproject.com/v/hall-creek/112042874

james godwin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

Hall creek looks fun, anybody want a belay buddy? I'm also looking to do some climbing on the basalt east of eager on the 180/191 around Nelson reservoir 

ldsclimber · · Santan Valley, AZ · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 3,360

Just an FYI on Hall Creek. There are a few top ropes that are open to be climbed but the routes have yet to be bolted. It's a haul from the valley and the weather is hit or miss when I go. If you are looking for a partner in the area hit me up I need more reasons to get back up there. Also a few additions were added at Schoens this yesterday 7/29. 4 sets of top anchors were replaced  as well:)

james godwin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

That sounds perfect!

Kyle Hubbard · · Unknown Hometown · Joined 16 days ago · Points: 0

If ya'll are open to a newbie tagging along to 'learn the ropes', please reach out! I'm three weeks new to Show Low and wanna meet some new people. I go camping a few times a month, run nearly everyday, etc., but have only ever been bouldering at gyms :/

khubb74@gmail.com

P.S. I don't mind belaying whole trips, and doing grimy grungy grunt stuff to keep everything moving along. :)

Mike Thackrah · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 30
  1. Besides what was mentioned we have a couple other crags. There is a super fun spot north of snowflake with maybe 10 sport lines from 5.6-7 to impossible lol. It also has some super fun bouldering. It's all sandstone and has a mixture of sun and shade all day. It's called 5 mile draw. There is also a well developed crag near big lake with 20+ sport lines. It's pretty old and the fire tore the place up but the rock and bolts are obviously still good. No idea who bolted it but there are some stories I've heard. It's kind of a chore to get to but it's fun. Seems like some of the anchors need to be replaced so use caution until we get to them. Very stiff climbing up there and not much shade but it's at 10k feet so it's usually not too hot lol. All of these areas including shoens and Hall creek will be getting lots more lines and I'll try to get them posted. Apologies for not doing so already. For any directions, info or a tour hit me up.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply