Holcomb Valley may be burned up today.

Original Post
Jt Loco · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 0
drjman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 2,431

Unless the wind direction changes a lot, I don't think it will come close to Holcomb Valley. It's going to be hotter and a lot windier tomorrow, so I guess anything can happen. It looked like it was by Van Duesen, but it's over by the 18.

Chris Owen · · Big Bear Lake · Joined Jan 2002 · Points: 10,096

Thanks for the post. East of the climbing area  - they have a big crew working it.

beantown · · Big Bear City, CA · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 0

I dismantled a fire pit last week in the parking lot.  the week before I told some climbers why they should not be having illegal fires after seeing the huge stack of firewood they brought with them all nice and neatly stacked next to the fire pit.....  this was midweek!!  hopefully the climbing area will be spared, it seems it is not in the vicinity of the crags and moving NE.

Here's a map of as late last night - note starting point (western fringe of the fire is 2 miles east of the climbing area):

George Wu · · Newport Beach, CA · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 76

Anyone been up there since it started, or talked to the ranger?  Have they closed any of the roads used to access the climbing areas such as Polique Canyon Road?  How's the smoke at the crags?

J Sundstrom · · San Diego, CA · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 115
beantown wrote:

I dismantled a fire pit last week in the parking lot.  the week before I told some climbers why they should not be having illegal fires after seeing the huge stack of firewood they brought with them all nice and neatly stacked next to the fire pit.....  this was midweek!!  hopefully the climbing area will be spared, it seems it is not in the vicinity of the crags and moving NE.

Glad to hear it. I put out an unattended fire this weekend at a developed campsite when it was 90° out... This is why we can't have nice things!

Adam Stackhouse · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 13,105
J Sundstrom wrote:

Glad to hear it. I put out an unattended fire this weekend at a developed campsite when it was 90° out... This is why we can't have nice things!

Wow.  I didn't hear that this was caused by a campfire.  

J Sundstrom · · San Diego, CA · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 115

I didn't mean to imply it was caused by a campfire; I have no idea. Only noting that I encountered an irresponsible fire situation similar to beantown. Kinda strikes a chord after seeing major fires in SoCal wipe out whole swaths of forest in the last decade.

beantown · · Big Bear City, CA · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 0

you can check the status of the fire and closures here:  https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/5256/

Van douche rd is closed, and 3n16 is closed up to van douche right at holcolmb valley camp.  hvc is open.  Polique is open and you could probably climb there.....but why if there is an active fire.

it appears the fire started at or near the pct doble camp......

I hiked up to Bertha last weekend, starting at the PCT on Polique; campsite and fire ring right by the trail. I'm thinking in the summer months fires need to be prohibited.

Carey De Luca · · Yucca Valley, Ca · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 10

When we lived up there we constantly had to tell people that fires were a no-no.  I had no issue seeing a ranger in the parking lot giving out tickets for fires.  It's just not safe!  

Adam Stackhouse · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 13,105
Carey De Luca wrote:

When we lived up there we constantly had to tell people that fires were a no-no.  I had no issue seeing a ranger in the parking lot giving out tickets for fires.  It's just not safe!  

Was is it a campfire that started this fire?

Carey De Luca · · Yucca Valley, Ca · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 10

I don't know.  At that time of the day I would not think so.  There are also many off road trails up where the fire started.

John Sutter · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0

To be honest I love yellow post sites and trail camps. Free they have a firepit everything seems wonderful. But in the mornings that pit should be cold and if im leaving its drowning in water. I was surprised how long san bernardino forest service was allowing fires this year. I remember just a few years before they where reinstating restrictions on non developed camps as early as  February. And this year with this much growth has worried me. Two weekends ago I started what I think will be a new habit for me. Any left over water in my 7 gal tank I stop by any abandoned yellow post sites and dump water on their coals. I stopped by pits on keller peak late two sundays ago and seemingly dead pits would boil and steam the second water hit them. I enjoy a fire but we need to remember where we live. This isn't the moss covered rainforests of BC and the cascades. It's dusty dry socal. 

Andy Ngo · · San Diego, CA · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 15

Any voluntary evacuations from climbers at the pinnacles? Or can anyone at the pinnacles give us a condition report?

Here's the latest map - looks like it went north:

RandyLee · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined May 2016 · Points: 5

For what it's worth, I climbed at castle rock last night and couldn't see much smoke. There are plenty of other fantastic places in the big bear area to climb, but so far from talking with locals it doesn't sound like people are avoiding the pinnacles.

Latest map with climbing area for reference - about 2 miles west if the fire:

Jt Loco · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 0

Much less smoke today. Lots of helo drops and less jet drops  today. Keep fingers crossed 

drjman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 2,431
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply