Critique my photos?

Original Post
Pdp · · Boulder, Colorado · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

Hey MP! I've done a little bit of climbing photography and I'm looking to get more serious with it, but I want to know what I can improve on/ anything I'm not doing right. Here's a few of my better photos. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! :-)

Danny · · brooklyn, ny · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 0

photos are great. very white male -centric though. 

Nate Doyle · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 0

My thoughts:

1. Dark. Brighten it up and pop the already present contrast.
  2. Dark. Not much contrast; it's flat.
  3. Crop the right side as it's not adding anything to the shot. In fact, that's a distraction (or at least let me see it without.) Needs a bit of contrast? That's a lot of green. I don't know.
  4. Slightly missed the focal plane as it's too close to you and slightly above him. Not much contrast; it's flat.
  5. Try the same shot with strobe from the side of you or an extra strobe from the side of you. This to kill those shadows. Unless you want shadows.
  6. Nice job with the focal plane. Nice color; it pops. Maybe brighten a tiny bit (maybe not, play with it?) Subject wise, not as good as #4; missing the emotion, the face, the struggle of the clip, if he was reaching or something it would have been better etc but, still a nice image.

Much of this can be done in the post-production process of course.

Austin Baird · · SLC, Utah · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 20

Great shots. Two suggestions:

1) If your climbers know you're going to be taking pictures, tell them to wear bright clothing. Grey or white shirts against grey or white rock robs the pictures of what could be interesting contrast.

2) In several of them, especially the first and last, it seems like you can't decide if you want to focus on the climber and the movement or if you want to include something in the background (landscape in the first and belayer in the last). The overall result (at least for me) is to rob the picture of the focus on movement or emotion by trying to include something that isn't that interesting anyway.

Pdp · · Boulder, Colorado · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

Thanks for all the feedback! I'll definitely keep it all in mind next time I go out to shoot. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply