A Dad's Hands: to all of you "fathers", whether you realize it or not!

Original Post
Old lady H · · Boise, Idaho · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 120

A Dad's Hands

for Nate, whose first child is due in July

A dad's hands can...

cradle a newborn tucked on his arm, ready for the end zone, or, the handoff to Grandma.

A dad's hands can...

throw his little girl so high in the sky she squeals with joy, or, catch his little boy flying off the slide head first.

A dad's hands can...

Steady his son's soul when his heart is broken, or, steady his baby's steps as she walks down the aisle.

These days, at 60, my hands share my dad's arthritis. He's been gone a long time, but I think of him often, as his face looks out from the mirror.

My dad's hands...

taught me to shoot before I learned to read, and, a love of reading that has lasted a lifespan.

My dad's hands...

taught me to chop down trees with an axe, and, hand carve wood grips for pistols.

My dad's hands...

taught me to build with what you have on hand, and, be open handed with those who have less.

--------------------------

The photo above is the only one I have of my dad's hands....both of them. Intact.

The middle two fingers of his right hand were shot off in WWII, when he was returning fire with his pistol. A quiet second birthday was celebrated every year on the day the fingers saved his life.

When I held my dad's hand, it was his right pointer finger, massive and calloused. It curved toward the pinkie, and with his thumb, he learned to do everything again, with his right hand.

Except shoot a pistol.

His hands, are my hands. Old, calloused, working hard.

A dad's hands.

Happy Father's day to all, best, OLH

Bill Czajkowski · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 15

Thanks Helen; that was pretty nice.

Bill Czajkowski wrote:

Thanks Helen; that was pretty nice.

Back at ya! ;-)

H.

Just a bump to post this today. :-)

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.