Shuteye/ Needles

Original Post
WillF · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 30

Hi all,

As it is going to be hard to climb in the valley this weekend, I wanted to either head to shuteye ridge or the needles. I just wanted to know how the conditions are from either of those areas as I have only heard 3rd hand information from friends.

How bad is the road if I just want to walk the rest of the way? Does anybody have a good suggestion on places that would be easy to hike from wherever a subaru can't drive past?

Even better question? Has anybody been up to the needles this season? Could I drive up the road (21S05) with a subaru right now?

Thanks! 

Will

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 310

Thanks Guy!

Ben Horowitz · · Berkeley · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 123

I was at Shuteye this past weekend. Very difficult to get to near the ridge/peak without a real heavy-duty 4x4... Many washed out and muddy roads.

http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/thread.php?topic_id=2974051&tn=60

It might also still be unpleasantly hot to climb at the needles or shuteye this weekend sadly :P

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 310
Ben Horowitz wrote:

I was at Shuteye this past weekend. Very difficult to get to near the ridge/peak without a real heavy-duty 4x4... Many washed out and muddy roads.

It might also still be unpleasantly hot to climb at the needles or shuteye this weekend sadly :P

Ben..... The Needles is never to hot. One must pick a climb that will stay in the shade (there are many) and if you go into the sun you will get baked to a crisp... it has always been like that. 

Fat Dad · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 60

The Needles road, if it's open, will most likely be passable in a Subaru.  Also, to follow up on Guy's point, I seem to be more on the cool side than the warm side.  I almost always finding myself deciding between bringing a fleece and being a little warm or leaving it at the base and being a little cool.  Temps there should be pretty nice right now.

Mike Robinson · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 165
Ben Horowitz wrote:

Ben,

Did you head up FS 7S02?  If so how far till the washouts referred to in the ST thread?  I'm wondering how far we can get with a Rav4 next over the holiday weekend...

Thanks

MR

C Brooks · · Fresno, CA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 516

How close you can get depends on how much you value the structural integrity of your Rav4. 

Ben Horowitz · · Berkeley · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 123

I'm not too familiar with the road names and I don't have the map in front of me, but I was on whatever road that goes to the ridge/lookout itself (pretty sure there is only one). I managed to get pretty close to Shangri La area (within a mile) with a stock Subaru Forester (2004), but it was a bit sketchy at times. My friends and I got out of the car a couple of times to make rock bridges or put large branches across muddy areas. Eventually there was a pretty steep very mud-rutted area that I decided was too much for my poor car.

If you have a winch and some tow-straps you could probably get a bit closer than I did...

Also, don't try to take Beasore Rd to Central Camp Rd, it was pretty rough looking!

Hi Mike,

We had absolutely no problems with the road. We had a subaru and it was just fine going down the road. However you need at least the clearance of a subaru, my compact sedan would not have made it down the road. We made it only as far as 7sosk, but that is because we wanted to climb around that area. The washed out roads in the supertopo forum are completely dry. Have fun!

Will

C Brooks wrote:

How close you can get depends on how much you value the structural integrity of your Rav4. 

Useful intel

WillF wrote:

Hi Mike,

We had absolutely no problems with the road. We had a subaru and it was just fine going down the road. However you need at least the clearance of a subaru, my compact sedan would not have made it down the road. We made it only as far as 7sosk, but that is because we wanted to climb around that area. The washed out roads in the supertopo forum are completely dry. Have fun!

Will

Thanks for the response Will!

Fat Dad · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 60

Sounds like folks are talking about two different roads, with Beasore Meadows being the worse of the two.

I was referring to Beasore, it will do a number on a stock SUV. It might be possible to get through if you don;t care about damage to your vehicle.

Road into Big Sleep, and into Red Eagle et. al. were ok for my Suby. 

C Brooks wrote:

I was referring to Beasore, it will do a number on a stock SUV. It might be possible to get through if you don;t care about damage to your vehicle.

Road into Big Sleep, and into Red Eagle et. al. were ok for my Suby. 

rgr that, thanks for the clarification

7S02 was gtg with a Rav4 (with minimal plastic removal...)  Lots of wood piling up in the only high clearance section (shown in the ST thread).

great spot!

Joe Coover · · Turlock, CA · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 20

In case anyone wanted to see how bad the 2WD road has become to Shangri-La etc.  Taken 6/18/17:

This is immediately after the road stops being paved; my Nissan Rogue had a tough time making it through

This is an area where a car may have an issue due to large rocks and water level

There were large ruts in the road making it hard to get through.  Without a high clearance vehicle, you will have a hard time.  For reference, my friend is over 6ft tall.  We parked here (took 2.25hours to get to the base of the hill) before the final ascent up the dirt road and hiked for about 30 minutes to 2wd parking area.  It was like this up a hill for quite a ways.

-Joe

Pavel K · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 98

Hi everyone, any more recent beta on roads in Shuteye? Driving an Outback, thinking about going next weekend, fire situation permitting...

thanks!

Which road? You can get into Big Sleep (Black area) and into Red Eagle/GreyEagle et a. (Red Area), all of the Green area (lost Eagle, Hidden Eagle etc.) with and Outback no problem. 

I won't bring my Outback into High Eagle (blue area) anymore. I think you would have to walk up to 2WD camp from below (maybe 1-2 hours hike to the climbs?) Maybe though your vehicle risk tolerance is higher than mine. I figure there is so much good climbing, I don;t need to damage my car just to go to High Eagle. 

There are now several large fires burning near Shuteye, its was blanketed in smoke this weekend. The access to Wallemo Dome was closed. I suspect its going to get worse before it gets better...

Ney Grant · · Pollock Pines, CA · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 1,005

We were there last week (High Eagle, Shuteye Pass Road) and made it almost to 2WD camp with our 2WD Sprinter and a Subaru Outback.  Would not do it again.  The Sprinter has high clearance with oversize aggressive tires but that road is a beater.  

The Sierra National Forest volunteer "Stewards" were there with a mini-excavator.  He made it almost to 2WD camp and turned around.  He didn't have enough weight and muscle to do much to the road, although he did dig up a few rocks and patch a few big holes.  But really not much different.  Its still essentially 4x4 only and you risk damage with a Subaru.  What he did do was dig out the culverts on the upstream side of the road so that it wouldn't flood and run down the road, which was causing much of the damage.

By the way what a great program.  There was a bevy of ATVs driven by mainly older guys loaded with chain saws and tools.  They said they get fuel and equipment grants from the government and they go out and maintain the trails and roads.  

The road into Red Eagle/Grey Eagle requires high clearance and the final pull up to the campsite is 4x4 only. But that is a fairly short walk.

Pavel K · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 98

Awesome beta, many thanks. 

I have not decided on a particular area yet, it was access dependant. Been to High eagle a few times so don't mind to go to a different area now. 

I hope the fire situation gets better... 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply