I'm thinking about heading up to the San Juans next week. I think I've decided I want to climb Center Shift on Vestal Peak, and I was wondering what conditions on the route and approach are like right now. Is there snow on the approach, or any need for crampons/axe? The approach from the Molas trailhead crosses several streams, do you think any of the crossings would be difficult with current runoff? Also, have afternoon monsoons started yet? Thanks for any info, I haven't climbed in the San Juans before so I'm just not sure what is possible this time of year.
If anyone has suggestions for other longish routes in the area up to 5.7, I'm open to other ideas too. Looking for something that would be good for splitting up with a bivy after the approach, for a chill pace. Would be interested in slightly less hiking distance than Vestal, but also looking for decent rock quality and a walk off descent, and Vestal seems to meet the latter two criteria.