Other guides in Yosemite Valley?

Original Post
Evan Gates · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 9

I called the Yosemite Mountaineering School and Guide Service looking for a guide next week. Being the idiot I am I waited too long and they are booked full. I read that they are the only ones licensed to guide in the valley. Is that true? Anyone know of a guide I might find for next week? 

This is our first time in the valley and we're very new trad leaders so a guide on our first day would be helpful. 

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275

As far as I know, they (YMS) are the only ones permitted to legally guide in Yosemite National Park.

John Wilder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 1,530
FrankPS wrote:

As far as I know, they (YMS) are the only ones permitted to legally guide in Yosemite National Park.

+1 unless something has changed in recent years....

That said, if you're new- get yourself the Supertopo guide and go find some easy stuff either at Manure Pile or Bishops and have fun. The crack climbing can be a challenge if you're new, but the gear in the valley is BOMBER. 

NegativeK · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 5

Did they waitlist you, or was it too deep? I was looking for a guide for May (called in April) and they were booked up, but they had some cancellations and worked with me on scheduling the day before I flew out.

Bryan Hains · · Redwood CIty, CA · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 20

Doug Nidever guides in the valley and is great. Probably also booked up.  http://www.themountainguide.com/ 

You could always post on the bulletin board at Camp 4 that you're looking for a partner. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply