Mountain Project Logo

Anyone in the Seattle area have a Leavenworth guidebook?

Original Post
Hector Luevano · · San Diego, CA · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 10

Passing through Washington on a 6 month climbing trip and stoked to get out to Leavenworth for the first time! Hoping to hop on some long routes but Mountain Project leaves a bit to be desired for me. Does anyone have a guidebook for the area I could borrow? Or possibly send  pictures of specific pages for me? I'd even buy it if it's a fair price. I just don't want to drop $36 for a brand new guidebook when the new version is due out next year. 

Cheers! 

Dan Cooksey · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 365
Hector Luevano wrote:

Passing through Washington on a 6 month climbing trip and stoked to get out to Leavenworth for the first time! Hoping to hop on some long routes but Mountain Project leaves a bit to be desired for me. Does anyone have a guidebook for the area I could borrow? Or possibly send  pictures of specific pages for me? I'd even buy it if it's a fair price. I just don't want to drop $36 for a brand new guidebook when the new version is due out next year. 

Cheers! 

PM me the pages or routes you want to get on and I'll send you pics. Also send me the grades you are interested in. Maybe I can make a recommendation.

Jplotz · · Wenatchee, WA · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 1,055

Long Alpine routes?  Blake Herrington's guidebook is new and updated with bunches of long routes. 

The updated Leavenworth guidebook coming out in the near future is cragging focused by Kramer. 

Buy Blake's guide. It's worth every penny and you will feel better  not  undermining his efforts by cheaping your way to his beta. 

JCM · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 95

For quality long routes, in the summer, skip Leavenworth. It is too hot, and the quality is generally inferior to elsewhere in the Cascades.

Unless you are talking about alpine rock near Leavenworth. That stuff is really good, and is covered by the Blake Herrington book. That book covers pretty much all the best long routes in WA, so buying that book is worthwhile. Visiting Index, Darrington, WA Pass, and the alpine rock in the Stuart range would all be good for long routes. Blakes book covers all these. Worth buying. And it covers Snow Creek Wall too, which is the only good long route Wall in Leavenworth.

Thanks guys! Super helpful. Looking specifically at Acid Baby, Backbone Ridge, Upper North Ridge Mt Stuart, Orbit, and Edge of Space. Will Blake's guidebook cover these areas? If so, I'm sold. 

I guess most of that isn't really Leavenworth. Sorry y'all. What shops in town carry Blake's book? 

Peter Gonda · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 8

I think most climbing shops in Seattle have Blake's book.  I've seen it at REI, Feathered Friends, and the gyms.

Peter Gonda wrote:

I think most climbing shops in Seattle have Blake's book.  I've seen it at REI, Feathered Friends, and the gyms.

Thanks Peter. I'll call around and snag one in the next few days. 

blakeherrington · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 1,040

I came across this thread, which had turned into a discussion of a guidebook I wrote, what it covers, and where it can be bought. 

Cascades Rock covers multipitch/backcountry/alpine rock routes in WA and sw BC. If you buy here, I'll pay the shipping costs and sales tax, and send it right to you. The book is also available locally at Leavenworth Mountain Sports, Der Sportsman, Goat's Beard (Mazama) and numerous western WA gyms and stores.

My only criteria in writing it was: is this a multipitch rock-centric climb that's worth doing? If so, I put it in there.

It covers 4th class scrambles in the Twin Sisters near Bellingham/Baker, classic moderates like Outer Space and Orbit on Snow Creek Wall in Leavenworth, 5.13 aid/free wall-style climbs on Liberty Bell, and everything in between (Washington Pass, Slesse, Cascade Pass, Darrington, Index Upper Town Wall, Cathedral/Pasayten). It includes color photos, photo overlays, illustrated topos, and approach/descent beta. 

Although you can certainly acquire random online beta, beg for someone to photo and email you pages from a copywritten book,  or surf MP.com, I think that actually having, owning, annotating, and updating a color guidebook to a range is something that most climbers find to be one of the best investments they can make in their climbing success and enjoyment. 

Thanks for the very positive comments above JPlotz and JCM! 

If it helps anyone justify the $39 for a book, I definitely have spent more than a few hundred dollars in each of the last few years just replacing manky hardware around WA or cleaning and de-vegging moderate routes that now see consistent traffic. Sending out copies of Cascades Rock helps to fund that next wire brush or stainless steel rappel anchor.

blakeherrington wrote:

I came across this thread, which had turned into a discussion of a guidebook I wrote, what it covers, and where it can be bought. 

Cascades Rock covers multipitch/backcountry/alpine rock routes in WA and sw BC. If you buy here, I'll pay the shipping costs and sales tax, and send it right to you. The book is also available locally at Leavenworth Mountain Sports, Der Sportsman, Goat's Beard (Mazama) and numerous western WA gyms and stores.

My only criteria in writing it was: is this a multipitch rock-centric climb that's worth doing? If so, I put it in there.

It covers 4th class scrambles in the Twin Sisters near Bellingham/Baker, classic moderates like Outer Space and Orbit on Snow Creek Wall in Leavenworth, 5.13 aid/free wall-style climbs on Liberty Bell, and everything in between (Washington Pass, Slesse, Cascade Pass, Darrington, Index Upper Town Wall, Cathedral/Pasayten). It includes color photos, photo overlays, illustrated topos, and approach/descent beta. 

Although you can certainly acquire random online beta, beg for someone to photo and email you pages from a copywritten book,  or surf MP.com, I think that actually having, owning, annotating, and updating a color guidebook to a range is something that most climbers find to be one of the best investments they can make in their climbing success and enjoyment. 

If it helps anyone justify the $39 for a book, I definitely have spent more than a few hundred dollars in each of the last few years just replacing manky hardware around WA or cleaning and de-vegging moderate routes that now see consistent traffic. Sending out copies of Cascades Rock helps to fund that next wire brush or stainless steel rappel anchor.

Whoa. Dude thanks so much for chiming in. I actually did pick up your book and it's phenomenal. Thanks for all the hard work you put into it, it's definitely one of the best guidebooks I've used. I'm moving up here permanently next month and I anticipate your book to help me immensely with the transition. 

Cheers! 

Chase Giltner · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0
blakeherrington wrote:

Just picked one up, thanks man. This is exactly the type of book is was looking for. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply