Kid Friendly Crags Near Seattle

Original Post
Josiah Ferguson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 15

Hey folks,

I'm gonna be coming from the east coast in early August to visit my uncle and cousins and I would love to get out climbing with them for a day because they're getting more and more into camping, hiking, and the outdoors in general. The boys are about 10 and 13. My uncle did a fair amount of climbing maybe 20 years ago but nothing recently. I'll have spent July in Squamish so ive got a rack and 60m rope with me.

So my questions are:

Is there anywhere to rent kid sized harnesses for a day in Seattle?

And, what are some good, kid friendly crags near (like 1 to 2 hour drive) from Seattle? Looking for easy top roping, reasonable approach, and cool side attractions (swimming holes or something?) if they get bored of climbing. 

Any other suggestions for hiking, camping, etc. that would be good for kids that age would be appreciated. Thanks for your help!

And if this has been answered elsewhere , thanks in advance for steering me that way. I tried searching mp but not much results.

Chipper Maney · · Seattle · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 30

Exit 38, Railroad Trestle.  Swimming across the road during summer low flows.

Rafe · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2009 · Points: 510

Look up "Far Side" of exit 38. In particular there is an area called Gritscone that has top rope accessibility, easy routes, short approach, and swimming hole under a bridge where you gain the train to make a short hike to the crag. 

a.blair · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 65

I second the option of gritscone at exit 38: far side. Very beginner friendly and not too tall (40ish feet) 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply