The Needles 24 to 30 June

Original Post
Rollie Graham · · Oceanside, CA · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 50

Hey everybody, I'd like to climb in the Needles this month as part of a road trip. I'm looking for a partner who would like to swap leads in the 5.10 range. I have several years of experience trad climbing and I'm comfortable leading 5.11a crack in Joshua Tree and 5.10c slab on Tahquitz and Suicide Rock. I'm easy going, and mostly climb because it gets me out in nature. I'd still climb with you on easier routes if you don't have much trad experience, or just don't like leading. Overall, I'm looking for a partner who has a positive attitude, doesn't mind early starts, and comfortable with multi pitch techniques. Hit me up if you're interested!

Chris Dunn 510 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 0

Marine?

teresamatrix · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined May 2012 · Points: 15

I'm interested. 4-5 years experience with trad multi pitch (weekend warrior plus a few trips: yosemite, tuolumne, Taho area, gunks, north conway) ; only last year reaching into 5.11 cracks. I've been out of commission for a few months finishing a degree, and just moved to LA. I have several weeks before starting my new job here and am dying to check out the Needles. In my current state, I'd be most comfortable leading up to 5.9ish and happy to follow anything else. Will PM.

Chris, yep I'm a Marine.

Semper Fi brother, I'm local to the needles area but won't be able to go out that weekend. Stay in the notches and climb the classics in the shade. Ratings are old school/stiff. Have a blast! 

Thomas Koellner · · Santa Barbara · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 33

PM. Like to join from 24 to 27 June.

Chris, thanks man I'm looking forward to it. We should climb when you're available in the future.

Everyone, thanks for all the PM's. I've got a partner for every day now so I won't be able to take anyone else. 

For what it's worth, you also have trilogy, hermit, and dome rock all within a 20 to 45 min drive from the needles. All of witch have classic lines on them as well. If you make it down to voodoo get on white punks , not hard by any means but an area classic as well. 

Found Dome Rock on MP. Are trilogy and hermit lesser known crags? I'd like to check them out.

Hermit and trilogy are known more by the locals. We go there to escape the crowds that come to the needles and dome. Trilogy is almost all single pitch trad, and a bit higher in elevation so it's usually cooler temps. A good team can knock out just about all the good climbs in a day. Hermit is single up to ten pitches. Rock quality is as good as the needles, but no crowds. If your interested I can send you the maps to these locations later. There's also nomad spire on the same ridge line as hermit, And an outcropping in the middle of the two that I've done some FA's on in the mid 10's. 

Also, dome rock has a good hand full of the area classics as well. Tobins dyhedral and anti jello crack are worth the trip alone, 10+ and 10a. Tree route is a 5.6 that there's usually a line for but super fun non the less.

Yeah man, send the topos and directions whenever you get the chance. Definitely looking to climb a bunch of mid tens and avoid crowds.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply