Mountain Project Logo

Toprope solo routes - Boulder and Northern Front Range

Original Post
David Ponak · · Longmont, Colorado · Joined May 2014 · Points: 15

Main interest is longer routes with getting to anchors or building an anchor not too sketchy. I have a 70 meter so being able to link a couple pitches on a non-wandering route would be great. First thought is Blind Faith, seem to recall it being a pretty straight shot to the top, that's the sort of thing I have in mind. 5.8-5.10 preferred, interested in stuff I can do early morning before work in the Boulder area, but also want ideas for routes that are more of an approach as I have Monday/Tuesday off and can't always find partners.  Second to long routes would be a high concentration of routes with a walk-off. 

Rich Farnham · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2002 · Points: 278

I'll make the sure-to-be controversial suggestion that it would be better in the long run if this list didn't get generated.  It's not that hard to poke around and come up with good locations for TR soloing, it just might take a little time.  Given that setting up a TR solo means you're going to be camped on a route for a while running laps, it creates a conflict as the number of climbers on the front range continues to grow at seemingly exponential rates.  I'm ok with it requiring a bit of an "entrance fee" to start TR soloing.  

I've had several experiences with heading out to do a route, only to find someone set up on it.  It kinda sucks.  And I TR solo, and try to be courteous to other people that show up when I'm set up.  It's probably best if this doesn't get too popular.  So, making people work for it a little is a good thing in my eye.  

I realize you are likely to be doing it early in the AM, and on weekdays.  But that doesn't mean everyone will.  

I'm sure I'll get crucified here for this suggestion.  Flame on.

J. Albers · · Colorado · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 1,793
Rich Farnham wrote:

I'll make the sure-to-be controversial suggestion that it would be better in the long run if this list didn't get generated.  It's not that hard to poke around and come up with good locations for TR soloing, it just might take a little time.  Given that setting up a TR solo means you're going to be camped on a route for a while running laps, it creates a conflict as the number of climbers on the front range continues to grow at seemingly exponential rates.  I'm ok with it requiring a bit of an "entrance fee" to start TR soloing.  

I've had several experiences with heading out to do a route, only to find someone set up on it.  It kinda sucks.  And I TR solo, and try to be courteous to other people that show up when I'm set up.  It's probably best if this doesn't get too popular.  So, making people work for it a little is a good thing in my eye.  

I realize you are likely to be doing it early in the AM, and on weekdays.  But that doesn't mean everyone will.  

I'm sure I'll get crucified here for this suggestion.  Flame on.

You should be expecting to get toasted Rich, well-reasoned thought never goes well 'round these parts :)

topher donahue · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2007 · Points: 185

Like was said on one of these solo TR threads before - It's ok to play with yourself, but it's best not to talk about your favorite spots to do it. 

Lots of spots. Best to figure it out for yourself. And keep in mind that ground up climbers have the right of way. Lower your rope rather than "toss it off" so you don't hit someone with it. Have fun!

David Ponak · · Longmont, Colorado · Joined May 2014 · Points: 15

Point taken, I definitely don't plan on hogging popular classics but see how this thread is going to go. If anyone wants to PM me their secret spots maybe? :)

topher donahue · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2007 · Points: 185
David Ponak wrote:

Point taken, I definitely don't plan on hogging popular classics but see how this thread is going to go. If anyone wants to PM me their secret spots maybe? :)

Your earlier ideas are good. You're on the right track. Pretty much anything can be TR soloed if you're ready to place your own anchors and know how to use directionals, etc. Everyone does it at their own level, so what is good for one person might not be right for everyone. Go get some.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply