Mountain Project Logo

Dirt Biking and Possible FA's ?????

Original Post
Daniel H. Bryant · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 275

Took a break due to some mild injuries, and picked up dirt biking in the mean time. While out riding I have come across many remote places that would appear to be untouched. 

Anyone know how to ride a motorcycle (I have a pair of dirt bikes) and would be interested in attempting some remote climbs? The climbs I have in mind look to be in the 5.5 to 5.7 range (of course that could change once on them), mostly trad, but some locations would need bolts....I have bolts too. 

The objectives I have in mind could most likely be done in a day, but a weekend type camp,ride,climb would be most effective both rest and timing wise. I'm not trying to pull hard or set records, just go where no one has gone before. 

If interested message me, and we'll go from there. 

Later - Daniel

PS - bikes are xr250 and kdx200, so you'll need to be tall enough to ride those unless you have your own bike

Tombo · · Boulder · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 360

How remote and brutal.  Could I get ther on a BMW F650GS?

Tyler Moyer · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0

Howdy!  Where are you trying to ride?  I also have a kdx200 and another bike that needs a carb cleaning, been riding a while and new to climbing.  I would like to tag along and learn more about trad and putting in routes. 

ALuckyDuck · · Denver, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 60

This sounds like a lot of fun. What days are you free? PM me or shoot me a text (786) 210-8942

Old lady H · · Boise, Idaho · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 290
Daniel H. Bryant wrote:

Took a break due to some mild injuries, and picked up dirt biking in the mean time. While out riding I have come across many remote places that would appear to be untouched. 

Anyone know how to ride a motorcycle (I have a pair of dirt bikes) and would be interested in attempting some remote climbs? The climbs I have in mind look to be in the 5.5 to 5.7 range (of course that could change once on them), mostly trad, but some locations would need bolts....I have bolts too. 

The objectives I have in mind could most likely be done in a day, but a weekend type camp,ride,climb would be most effective both rest and timing wise. I'm not trying to pull hard or set records, just go where no one has gone before. 

If interested message me, and we'll go from there. 

Later - Daniel

PS - bikes are xr250 and kdx200, so you'll need to be tall enough to ride those unless you have your own bike

Daniel, a friend of mine is an FA of both local routes, and technical peaks, all seasons, here in Idaho. He's been climbing since the 1970's, and prowling every inch of our end of the state his entire life.

The 5.5-5.7 stuff was considered practice for the big stuff, and "routes" were just a nickname given to a spot. They were not even climbed with ropes, in some cases, or with minimal gear and a minimal belay.

With the population you have there, by all means, go out and have fun, name some routes, etc., but "untouched" is unlikely. 

Nobody even bothered recording rock routes here, early, but these days the same guys all acknowledge the routes (peaks, especially) as "first known ascent", or "first recorded ascent", to give a nod to those others.

Enjoy thinking about the footsteps you are literally walking in while you are out there!

Best, Helen

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply