Mountain Project Logo

Car break-in, gear stolen

Original Post
Shahar Zimmerman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0

Hey all, 

Long-time lurker, first-time poster here. I'm not sure that this is the correct sub to post in, but here goes.

My car was broken into on Tuesday 6/13 in San Francisco, and pretty much all my climbing gear was stolen. I was stopping by the city to meet friends before a climbing trip to Mammoth and had left my car parked on a street next to a friend's house for the morning. The thief smashed in the back window and grabbed all my stuff in broad daylight. It's a terrible feeling losing significant $$$ in gear and having to go home in a messed up car instead of on an awesome trip. So! PSA: Don't leave climbing gear exposed in your car in SF (or any other areas known for car burglary)!!!

Also, I have put together a list of the missing items w/ images: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OWCqO4r8YDcrufHzI_UC6W4l_HKi9fo7dM26v2sNJk8/edit?usp=sharing

Please skim it. If you see any of these items suspiciously being sold together on craigslist, ebay, mountain project, or on the street, please please DM me! I will reward anyone who finds my stolen gear.

PS: Police report has been filed.

Cheers,

Shahar

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Shahar Zimmerman wrote:

PSA: Don't leave climbing gear exposed in your car in SF (or any other areas known for car burglary)!!!

A better way of saying that: Don't leave climbing gear in your car.

Sorry about the theft. Hope you get your stuff back.

carla rosa · · CA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 269

Do you have renter's insurance? You could possibly file a claim. Good luck!

Shahar Zimmerman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0
Carla R wrote:

No I have homeowner's insurance, but $1000 deductible and increased premiums due to the claim won't be worth it. Thanks for the suggestion!

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
Carla R wrote:

The usefulness of filing a claim is greatly dependent on how much the deductible is. Looks like around $600 worth of gear.

carla rosa · · CA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 269
FrankPS wrote:

The usefulness of filing a claim is greatly dependent on how much the deductible is. Looks like around $600 worth of gear.

For sure. I didn't really skim the item list but looking at it now and based on brand new retail prices/tax (that's included under most claims), I would say it looks closer to $1000. YMMV 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Car break-in, gear stolen"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started