80m rope recommendation?

Original Post
Idaho Bob · · McCall, ID · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 58

I'm going to buy a 80m rope for a trip to Kalymnos. Somewhere between 9.0-9.5mm.  Looking for recommendations. Thanks.

amarius · · Nowhere, OK · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 20

Climbing gear prices are, usually, lower in Europe. Check how much a desired rope is going to cost you there.

Jason Halladay · · Los Alamos, NM · Joined Oct 2005 · Points: 10,472

I've been using the BD 9.2mm for the past nine months and have been very happy with its durability and handling. It got dirty real fast compared to my other ropes. I chalk that up to the fact that my other ropes are dry-treated and this is not (thus the great price-point for an 80m rope.) 

OrganicChemistry · · Tucson · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 95

if you know what you're getting into with a 80, I would highly recommend buying a Mammut 80m 9.5. An 80 is def not a cragging rope as it's too much rope for most crag pitch lengths, tho' if you're linking multi and concerned about rap distances then go for it!

LLubchenco · · Lander, wy · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 25

80's are awesome. I bought mine before a trip to Spain and it is going strong, with very little signs of wear. Eidelweiss energy 9.5. Carrying an 80 to a crag really isn't the worst thing, plus, when you have to cut the ends because they are flat, you still have a 70+! 

Enjoy your trip!

L

Luke Bertelsen · · Tucson, AZ · Joined Feb 2005 · Points: 2,791

Idaho-

I was just in Kalymnos this past April for 3 weeks.  My wife and I had eyed some pitches requiring an 80 according to the guidebook, so we bought one.  We never once needed it....... not once.  This included a handful of pitches that said we would need the full 80.  A 70 would have been perfect.  I am sure the pitches that truly require an 80 are out there.  We hardly saw the whole island, but again.... the 70 would have done just fine.

Enjoy Kalymnos!

Rob Warden...Space Lizard · · Between Zion, Vegas, LA, an... · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 115

I have a beal stinger unicore 9.4mm it's been great. Light good handling unicore process is amazing for me. 

My next ropes will be beal or the new petzl/edelrid. The maxim 9.1 airliner is also the best and most durable skinny rope out there. It's also the most expensive I have seen.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply