Mountain Project Logo

Beta needed!

Original Post
Mark L · · New York, NY · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

Hey all,

My wife and I are flying out to California at the end of July.  While there I am definitely going to climb in Yosemite and Joshua Tree.  Only problem is that my wife doesn't climb.  I'm sure I can find someone on the forums here, but I am recovering from an injury and want to stick to beginner/intermediate multipitch routes, so I don't want to ruin someone's day because of my limitations.  Are there any guide services that anyone recommends for both parks?  I'm being lazy and haven't researched much yet, and I just want to get an idea as of where to start.  Any tips or beta for climbing these locations, or for visiting them in general would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Mike Womack · · Orcutt, CA · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 2,015

Hey Mark, 

I'm not familiar with the guiding services in those areas, but I can tell you that july isn't when you want to be in J-tree cause it's way too hot.  There may be a fluke day where it's bearable, but overall, I wouldn't keep hopes high.  Taquitz and Suicide rocks make better summer climbing places as well as many of the "local" crags closer to the beach such as Malibu Creek.  Yosemite will be a blast as you can always climb in different areas depending on the weather.  Tuolumne meadows may be great around then too.  If planning on camping, start reserving sooner than later as popular spots fill up.  

George Wu · · Newport Beach, CA · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 62

As Mike already posted, JTree will be scorching hot in July.  Almost certainly over 100 degrees.  That said, there are two guide services of which I'm aware in JTree.  I'm friends with the owners/guides of Rock Climb Every Day, and have climbed with them a bunch and recommend them.  They're not afraid of the heat - I've seen them spend the 4th of July weekend out there in 100+ degree heat.  Vertical Adventures is the famous guide service in the area.  A whole ton of my friends have gone out with them, and I've heard nothing but good things.

If you are set on climbing, you might try staying in Palm Springs.  You'll have an hour drive to the climbing areas, but you'll also have an air conditioned hotel room instead of camping in the heat.  And there will be lots of stuff for your wife to do while you're out climbing.

In Yosemite, the only permitted guide service is their own guide service - Yosemite Mountaineering School.  No doubt they are more than qualified, and I've found the couple with whom I've chatted friendly.

Enjoy your trip, and hope that injury heals well!

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

Climb in Tahquitz, which is at elevation near Joshua Tree. It will have much more pleasant temperatures and is world-class climbing. One of the guide services for Joshua Tree also guides in Tahquitz.

Vertical-Adventures.com

Kevin DeWeese · · @failfalling - Oakland, Ca · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 981

for Yosemite, there's a climber partner board on the right side of the ranger check-in station for Camp 4. You'll find postings for hardcore climbing as well as people that just want to have a relaxed run up something easy like After six or royal arches etc. Most people will either post a phone number to call or their campsite number to wander over to. (depending upon your cell phone provider, if you don't get reception at Camp 4, it tends to be better at Yosemite village (not curry village) for ATT, No idea for Verizon) 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Beta needed!"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started