Mountain Project Logo

Surf Trip

Original Post
coreylee · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 45

We're taking a surf trip in September and we need some recommendations.  We have narrowed it down to: Portugal, Morocco, Sri Lanka, and Bali.  We are both newer surfers who surf on longboards and prefer waves that are knee to shoulder high.  

Anyone been to any of these places and recommend going to any of these spots?  Why?  Thanks for the input!    

Joe Garibay · · Ventura, Ca · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 90

Waikiki, or Mondos

20 kN · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,348

I'd say go to Oahu. It's probably the best surfing destination in the world and Waikiki is prime for longboarding and learning how to surf (less all the people). Oahu also has enough solid climbing to keep your busy during your visit. September should be when Waikiki is starting to get a bit smaller, and so 2-3's are pretty common. You'll see that everyday. You should be able to snag a round trip flight for around $450-600 from CA. You can rent a good quality longboard for $35 every two days or $20 a day from a few shops that are within walking distance from Waikiki beaches. I think they do weekly as well, probably around $15 a day weekly.

Thanks for the responses.  My girlfriend is from Ventura and we surf at Mondos often.  We've talked about Hawaii but we'll probably go there later, when we have kids.

Portugal, Bali, Sri Lanka, Morocco anyone?  Thanks again!  

Jason Kim · · Encinitas, CA · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 255

Of the places you listed I've only been to Bali. If you're good on a longboard it can be a fun destination, but if you're uncomfortable in heavy surf or shallow reef, it would be scary. I usually ride a 9'2" at home and brought an 8' mini out there, which just barely worked in the heavier waves. Look into Medewi, that was a longboard wave (a left) that was pretty fun and would fit you are seeking. FYI, Lombok is SO much cleaner and far less crowded, so if you're going all the way out there, it's worth considering.

As someone who has traveled with a longboard a fair amount, one of the hardest things to deal with is logistics. They're a royal pain when it comes to transportation since they won't fit in the cargo of a smaller plane, etc. For that reason, I no longer bring my normal board on surf trips to exotic destinations, where the logistics are questionable. Even getting to a place like Pavones can be a hassle, and that's an established longboard paradise.

I've got a buddy who is Sri Lankan and he says the surf there is amazing. Never been myself. 

Jason Kim · · Encinitas, CA · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 255

If kids are in your future, definitely do something exotic, while you still have the chance! Get off the beaten path and you will find good surf and have a great time. Crowds are going to be your main nemesis. Nothing is worse than flying halfway around the world and trying to surf a break that is more crowded than back home. 

Hawaii is perfect for the family trips, after you have kids.

ConradS · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 0

those places are all awesome to visit.  However the waves on offer will more than likely be outside your comfort zone. Travel time to most of your suggested locations is also something to consider. Bali and Sri Lanka take 30+ hours from LAX.

If surfing is your main focus look into Cardon Mexico or Cabo, maybe Mal Pais Costa Rica. those areas have mellower waves on average.  If you must go exotic look into Telo islands or the Maldives.  The waves can get huge and scary there but on average they are a touch smaller/softer than other parts of Indonesia.

Also check which airline u fly.  Board fees can be outrageous. I've paid $500 for boards each way.  Longboards are probably even more expensive on flights. American Airlines is possibly the worst for surfers.  Singapore air allows free boards.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.  We are leaning towards Portugal and Morocco.  I personally would love to go to Saladita but my other half is really set on something "exotic".  

And.....we're going to Bali and Lombok.  Thanks again for the help.  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply