Maple Canyon Campground Sites 1 to 4 closed

Original Post
daricouv · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 0

Bear activity in these sites due to bad camper practices of leaving food, dirty dishes and garbage.  Rangers have closed off the sites to tent camping.  We just canceled our reservation due to this.  

It is maddening to think that campers (probably climbers) aren't practicing safe camping habits!

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/mantilasal/recreation/camping-cabins/recarea/?recid=73474&actid=29

daricouv · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 0
grog m aka Greg McKee · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70

Every single campsite has a poster hanging up saying "Bear cited! Pick up your trash"

It literally says bear CITED lol. So its good to know they have been handing out tickets to the bears. Let me see if I can find the picture

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
grog m aka Greg McKee wrote:

Every single campsite has a poster hanging up saying "Bear cited! Pick up your trash"

It literally says bear CITED lol. So its good to know they have been handing out tickets to the bears. Let me see if I can find the picture

The real question is, were they cited at the site where they were sighted?

grog m aka Greg McKee · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70

Marc - ...thats some bearception there. The best part is that there about 50-100 of these hanging up at maple canyon. Lots of bear citations

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
grog m aka Greg McKee wrote:

Marc - ...thats some bearception there. The best part is that there about 50-100 of these hanging up at maple canyon. Lots of bear citations

There's a lot of illiteracy in Utah. I think home schooling has something to do with it.

Levi Painter · · Boise, ID · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

I was there over the weekend.  Those four campsites were closed but there were plenty of other spots to camp at.  The walk-in spots and private land campsites.  What had us more bummed out was that Left Fork was closed because of the bear for 2 of the days we were there.  They opened it on Saturday though.

Tim Lutz · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 5
Marc801 C wrote:

There's a lot of illiteracy in Utah. I think home schooling has something to do with it.

and inbreeding

the schmuck · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 110

So does anyone know if Left Fork remains closed? The ranger district folks aren't sure. 

David Deville · · Flagstaff, Arizona · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 40

Is anybody here a lawyer specializing in Bear Law? I'd imagine these bears would have a hard time paying these fines and keeping food in the den. It's a shame what a police state we live in!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply